Nitrox Ready Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello wondering if someone could help me with some info. I was wondereing if you can use air in a Nitrox ready tank. I am thinking of buying on but i am not a nitrox diver and would need to use it for air. So i guess the question is Can you put regular air in a nitrox ready tank. Thanks to eveyone who replys

No problem at all. You just need to O2 clean to go back to nitrox if you are partial pressure blending. Not so much if you continuous blend. But you should get that info when you take a nitrox class.

DudleyNMU:
Hello wondering if someone could help me with some info. I was wondereing if you can use air in a Nitrox ready tank. I am thinking of buying on but i am not a nitrox diver and would need to use it for air. So i guess the question is Can you put regular air in a nitrox ready tank. Thanks to eveyone who replys

if it's hyper clean air you can use it for both nitrox and air, without having to get it cleaned

if your shop does partial pressure fills, you can only use hyperclean air if you want to keep it 02 clean.
if your shop does banked fills you can use any air and it should be okay, filling from a bank does not require oxygen clean tanks in the first place.

to keep it simple, just use hyperclean air and you don't need to get them 02 cleaned every time..

DudleyNMU:

If you are using O2 compatible {also called clean, hyperpure, hyperfiltered or a number of other names} air then there is no need to clean the tank or anything. It will be just fine to swap back and forth between air and EANx

True about the clean air....but hardly worth added expense if you don't currently dive nitrox as well.

what extra expense? all air from the shop i go to is hyperclean, the shop either has it or doesn't, i wouldn't pay any more for it!!

mossym:
what extra expense? all air from the shop i go to is hyperclean, the shop either has it or doesn't, i wouldn't pay any more for it!!

Does not apply to you then. My shop of choice does not pp blend or carry clean air. If I need to do either I go elsewhere. I use the continuous blend NN1 & 2 in the same tanks I use air. Also you can get nitrox fill that was blended w/o hyperclean and then you need to 02 clean before you pp blend again. I never intended to hijack the thread or substitute for an EANx class. Just wanted to make sure it was clear that the transition from air to nitrox is easier than the other way around is all.

If you will always get fills, even air fills, from someplace that pumps partial pressure nitrox then you should be OK. The problem seems to come from driving to some dive site and then needing to get air fills while you are there. Depending on how remote the site is you may be a long way from a hyperclean air fill. It pays to do your homework and find out who has nitrox or hyperclean air in advance so you don't wind up having to have the tanks cleaned again when you get back.

Take the EANx class and you will quickly understand the subject of hyper filtered air & why Nitrox on most dives between 40 - 90ft rocks :eyebrow: You pay a premium for Nitrox but I think it's worth the extra money & added safety on some dives. Added benefit of less nitrogen uptake is you feel better & more refreshed after a dive :sprite10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom