Prerequisites to become PADI MSDT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my current level is Padi DiveMaster. Will undergo an IDC in the next few months but I'm wondering further down the road what the MSDT certification to teach implies, other than the minimum 25 certified OW students requirement. I'm not currently certified for any PADI specialties, although I have wreck, drift and navigation "unofficial" experience. I'm not certain of the requirements to start the MSDT training without those Advanced (or Adventure as it's called now) specialties such as Deep, Wreck, Search & Rescue, Navigation etc. I don't have a problem going "back" and getting those, other than, of course, time and money... Just need to know if they are a prerequisite. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

You need to hold 5 padi specialty instructor ratings( ppb, proj aware, and coral reef conservation do not count). Specialties can be done in either of the application methods, and have certified 25 divers (at any level). You pay your money you get the rating.

As found on page 38 of the padi instructor bible.
-g mount

plongeursousmarin:
Hi, my current level is Padi DiveMaster. Will undergo an IDC in the next few months but I'm wondering further down the road what the MSDT certification to teach implies, other than the minimum 25 certified OW students requirement. I'm not currently certified for any PADI specialties, although I have wreck, drift and navigation "unofficial" experience. I'm not certain of the requirements to start the MSDT training without those Advanced (or Adventure as it's called now) specialties such as Deep, Wreck, Search & Rescue, Navigation etc. I don't have a problem going "back" and getting those, other than, of course, time and money... Just need to know if they are a prerequisite. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Thanks for your answer, but more specifically, and maybe I was not clear, I was wondering if the prerequisites for specialty instructor imply specifically being certified AOW specialty (i.e., Deep, Wreck, Ice, Whatever Diver). FWIW I don't have the manual with me. Logic would have it that Padi would require that you undergo the basics before going for the Instructor, and as such non-official, "empirical" experience would not count. As stated in the previous post, I'm aware of the minimum 25 OW students certified, as I'm aware of the number of specialties.
Thanks again

No you do not have to hold a specialty to become a specialty instructor.
You also do not have to certify 25 open water divers. You just have to issue 25 certifications. As far as becoming an instructor you can do either of the two methods, neither of which recquire you to hold that specialty.
-g mount

plongeursousmarin:
Thanks for your answer, but more specifically, and maybe I was not clear, I was wondering if the prerequisites for specialty instructor imply specifically being certified AOW specialty (i.e., Deep, Wreck, Ice, Whatever Diver). FWIW I don't have the manual with me. Logic would have it that Padi would require that you undergo the basics before going for the Instructor, and as such non-official, "empirical" experience would not count. As stated in the previous post, I'm aware of the minimum 25 OW students certified, as I'm aware of the number of specialties.
Thanks again

gjmmotors:
No you do not have to hold a specialty to become a specialty instructor.
You also do not have to certify 25 open water divers. You just have to issue 25 certifications. As far as becoming an instructor you can do either of the two methods, neither of which recquire you to hold that specialty.
-g mount

Except Enriched Air.....

Otter:
Except Enriched Air.....
and cavern, equipment, rebreather.
I dont think those are what the person mentioned though.
-g mount

As far as I understand, MSDT is a rating achieved once you qualify and have been approved to teach 5 specialties. In order to teach specialties, you first have to have issued 25 certifications for whatever you are qualified to certify (i.e. as OWSI, then OW, AOW, Rescue, DM, etc.). Once you have the 25 certifications, to get a specialty, you can either (i) take a course with the course director and have 10 dives in that specialty or (ii) have 20 dives without taking the course from the course director. Each dive can only qualify for one of the specialties. For example, I did a night dive on the Arabia in Tobermory last year on enriched air, wearing a drysuit, while taking pictures. This can qualify for deep, night, wreck, drysuit, enriched air, and photography, You can only use this towards one of the specialties (not enirely sure about enriched air, to be truthful).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom