CocoView for the first time - what to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saf_25

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I've read all of the threads here on Cocoview, but this hasn't been explicity addressed. We're going there for the first time mid-July (this is actually my first ever dive trip - all of my 120+ dives have been local, so this is going to be my first warm water, as well as my first dive resort. I can't wait!!!), and I'm starting to think about what I'll be bringing with me and need to get.

I know that everyone has said that the focus is on diving, and that it is a very casual atmosphere. With that in mind, I plan on bringing my dive/camera gear (duh!), a few bathing suits (2-3), a few beach cover-ups, 3-4 pairs of shorts and t-shirts, some tennis shoes, and general toiletries (including bug spray and snscreen - I'm already stocked up!), but I wanted to see what other recommendations people who have been there have to make. Any packing suggestions - what did you bring that you didn't need, and what didn't you bring that you wished you had? Do we need to bring beach towels, a pair of jeans (we want to do the jungle zip tour on our day off of diving - do we need pants for that?) or any nicer clothes? Whatever advice you can offer will be appreciated!!!
Thanks!

saf_25:
Hi all,
I think I've read all of the threads here on Cocoview, but this hasn't been explicity addressed. We're going there for the first time mid-July (this is actually my first ever dive trip - all of my 120+ dives have been local, so this is going to be my first warm water, as well as my first dive resort. I can't wait!!!), and I'm starting to think about what I'll be bringing with me and need to get.

I know that everyone has said that the focus is on diving, and that it is a very casual atmosphere. With that in mind, I plan on bringing my dive/camera gear (duh!), a few bathing suits (2-3), a few beach cover-ups, 3-4 pairs of shorts and t-shirts, some tennis shoes, and general toiletries (including bug spray and snscreen - I'm already stocked up!), but I wanted to see what other recommendations people who have been there have to make. Any packing suggestions - what did you bring that you didn't need, and what didn't you bring that you wished you had? Do we need to bring beach towels, a pair of jeans (we want to do the jungle zip tour on our day off of diving - do we need pants for that?) or any nicer clothes? Whatever advice you can offer will be appreciated!!!
Thanks!

You have the right idea, pack light as you won't need much when you get there. I didnt bring a beach towel and don't remember needing one. They have hammocks and stuff for laying around on if that was its purpose.
The only reason I could see needing pants on the canopy tour is protection from bugs or whatever.
The only thing I wished I had brought was a second wetsuit to alternate. I went in december so some days were overcast and sort of cool so it wasnt drying out between dives. During the day it wasnt bad but the putting it on for the night/dawn dives sort of sucked.

Go to the chat section of www.cocoviewresort.com. There are threads there on what to bring. Really, bug spray, scuba equpment, money, a couple of swimsuits, and maybe a change of underwear(optional) and a shirt and you're good.

At AKR, I (female) brought 4 swimsuits, 2 sarongs, 4 beach towels (for me and husband to share), 4 pairs shorts, 3 pairs cotton drawstring pants, 10 tank tops and a couple of t shirts. I brought a pair of linen pyjama bottoms and a thin long sleeved cotton tunic that I wore at night to sit on the hammock so I didn't have to cover myself with deet. I had 4 pairs of flip flops and 1 pair of sandals, but I really only wore the neoprene sandlas and 1 pair of flops. I packed WAY too much. Next time I will bring far less clothing.

I packed powdered gatorade mix (and a couple of insulated sport bottles). We used it all. Gatorade was $3.50/ bottle in Coxen Hole. Bring immodium and pepto, just in case. We all needed it at least once during the trip. Gatorade was useful for those days, too. We are used to the heat, and still felt pretty dehydrated and tired after a day of diving, sun, and saltwater, not to mention a few Port Royals/rum and cokes the night before. The powdered gatorade was a life saver.

Oh, OK, you may want to bring an anti-malarial if you're doing that also. I was bitten by a few mosquitoes (at least 3 that I actually saw and killed and confirmed were mosquitoes -- 2 at dusk and 1 at dawn). I haven't heard of anyone getting malaria at CCV (not that I am in the information loop like some others on this board), but, CDC does say you're at risk on Roatan.

You may want to bring benadryl if you're allergic to sand flies and any of the usual travel drugs, too.

OR...bring me and I will gladly fill you in on the rest :eyebrow:

Ooh, I am sooo jealous! Everything Berick said ---and ---Have a wonderful time..oh, and lose the pants :wink:

Thank you all for the advice. I had tried looking before at the CCV website, but didn't see where the lists were. I found them now, though, so that will help.
ALready got the malaria pills - just had the dr. call them in this weekend, so I'm ready to start those the week before I go. I'm one of those who likes to have everything I could possibly need with me, so I think I need to start cutting back on what I plan to bring - that's what all of my advice I"ve gotten seems to be saying. Thanks for it all, though - and if you think of anything else, let me know!

saf_25:
Thank you all for the advice. I had tried looking before at the CCV website, but didn't see where the lists were. I found them now, though, so that will help.
and if you think of anything else, let me know!

Come and join us on the cocochat board if you haven't already. You will probably get too much information but it's a fun place. Just got back and already got my trip booked and ready to go for 2006. It is a super casual place barefeet, and bathing suits. Have fun.

Bring one good shirt. They usually offer to take you to town one night to have dinner. Oh, and you can take me,lol. Have a good time and enjoy the cocoview, its a great place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom