6/5 - Gunrock Dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
6/5 - Gunrock report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After paying $7 to part at Kelly's parking lot - my buddy and I started the long kick out from the second set of stairs (the first set was still out after being pulled for a storm) toward the breakwater. On the way over the vis appeared pretty good. However after we descended at the breakwater, the vis turned out to be pretty bad (5-7'), we swam about 3/4 of the lenght of the jetty (max depth 30' - it was high tide) and turned around. The water temp was around 50degs at depth. I saw several keeper bugs, but I wasn't hunting. After 5 years and a couple hundred rec dives in NE - I still hate low vis. Unless it's a mission oriented dive, I don't enjoy diving in vis of less than 10' - it's just too stressful. Days like this made me wish I lived in FL.

John, any idea of the wind direction? I was hoping to get over to GunRock tomorrow afterwork (wednesday) and curious how the winds effect Gun Rock. I've been there in good viz and bad viz, what it's bad there it's VERY bad. All that sand around the breakwater!! I was at Brant Rock for a lowtide snorkel/freedive on sunday evening and there was a moderate surge which was churning up the sand and such...

Can you dive afterwork tomorrow, maybe 6pm? ScubaNorth and I are going to attempt an easy Gun Rock dive

The wind had been blowing east the day before and there was a surge.

Thanks for the invite for the evening dive, but I'm stuck at school. Maybe a night dive some time next week?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom