2 Island Diver Spots 11 Jun 05 available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have to give up my seat on the Island Diver with the DiveVets on Saturday 11 June at 07:00 a.m. and back to the dock about 11:15 a.m. Dive destination is somewhere in the Santa Monica Bay and can include the Palawan (130 feet to bottom, 110 to top). Boat is 8 people and cost is split 8 ways for $38.00 each.
http://www.divevets.com/upcoming.htm

i'm on that boat the 11 th . glad you're on it too . we'll make a dive vetter out of you yet .

drysuit greg

You will enjoy it. Just have to be ready to do 130 feet if that is where the boat goes. Destination is decided upon arrival and conditons.

pasley:
You will enjoy it. Just have to be ready to do 130 feet if that is where the boat goes. Destination is decided upon arrival and conditons.

Come on Melvin. I hope there's a little humor implied in your post since your statement is not really true. Everyone on these boats puts safety ahead of diving. There's never fewer than 2 DMs/Instructors on the the boat, and usually that number is more like 4-5. The Palawan has been a regual spot on our Island Diver trips for over half of the dives this year . There have been many times where the group has passed on the Palawan due to inexperienced divers. The first objective has always been to provide a fun & affordable dive trip. It also offers the opportunity for divers with less experience to move into more advanced dives such as wrecks like the Avalon. Any of the regular divers will usually buddy with new divers to make their dive more enjoyable and safer.

Two of the guys on our last boat trip brought gear specifically to do training for wrecks deeper than the Palawan and wanted to dive the Palawan to test and train. The Palawan is a deep dive, but within the rec table limits. The deepest I got was 119' (by choice) when I dropped down into one of the holds. The majority of the wreck can be visited at the 103-110' limits. We had 40'+ vis. It was a great dive. No one will ever force someone to dive any spot, but the crew has been diligent enough to keep divers out of the water when needed.

Anyone who wants to sign-up for any Island Diver trip with Divevets can ask for a trip that will not include the Palawan, but it should be done in advance. Even the Avalon sits in the 70' range, so keep in mind these trips are not going to be for everyone. There are plans to add "novice" specific trips to help get new divers the opportunity to get in more boat diving at an affordable price.

Dazedone, you should have a great time. Post any concerns prior to the trip on the message board and I'm sure they will be answered promptly.

I have no problem going down to 100+' as a matter of fact, I have been trying to get deeper lately anyway. My SAC has gotten better over the past year and I got a big ol' Steel 120. So I say, bring it on.

hermosadive:
Come on Melvin. I hope there's a little humor implied in your post since your statement is not really true. ...
Actually, I see nothing incorrect or hostile in my statement. There is not any hidden agenda and quite frankly I do not see what in my post has given offense. If I have offended, I apologize.

My statement was, as I see it, a simple statement of fact. I did not say or imply that dives to 130 were the normal dive plan. I simply stated that dives to 130 feet are on the menu of potential dives if you book a seat. That is not an indictment and can be either good or bad depending upon the individual diver and their individual preferences as to what they are looking to do.

To elaborate, on what I meant to say: The Island Diver Dive Vet trips are well run operations at an affordable price. The Divevet and Island Diver caters to the divers and will go where the divers elect to go that morning based upon that mornings conditions and the group on board that day. The boat dives the local coast line and your planning should include the possibility that the dive on that day may include a dive up to 130 feet of water if that is where the group wants to go. If you prefer not do deep dives, then you might want to either a) consider another venue or b) make further inquires as to what the plan is for that particular date. Conversely, if you are looking to dive a little deeper, then this trip may be what you are looking for.

Yes, 130 feet is within the recreational limits. Yes, the Palawan was a pleasant dive and one I will make again on day, if I get another seat on the boat. Yes, my partner (Chris A, who had dove the Palawan several times and was an excellent dive buddy) and I discussed the dive before hand. We made a plan and set our depth limit at 110 feet which we executed flawlessly. Yes, I was back on the boat after a perfect dive with 1800 psi in the tank (thanks to a short fill of only 2800psi).

No, mention of any unsafe acts was made or implied by me. I agree the operation is well run. Yes, I recognized there were divers there with a specific agenda. Yes, I was asked if the Palawan was all right with me. Yes I agreed to dive the Palawan, albeit weakly with “I would rather not, but its ok”. Yes I could have said an empathic no. Yes I could have sat out the Palawan dive if I chose to do so. I could have just done the second dive and been very happy, and thought it still a good deal at the price we pay. No, I was not aware of that agenda before I arrived at the boat.

hermosadive:
… Anyone who wants to sign-up for any Island Diver trip with Divevets can ask for a trip that will not include the Palawan, but it should be done in advance. Even the Avalon sits in the 70' range, so keep in mind these trips are not going to be for everyone.....
I believe that was the underlying message in my post.

I didn't take it personally, but I didn't want to see 130' be the impression people had of the dives. Folks around SB tend to jump all over threads when there is any sort controversy and I didn't want to see that happen over our boats. None of the recreational divers on any of our trips have planned dives to 130'.

I hope you come out again. A night dive is being planned by some of the divers now....for the Palawan. Great chance to see it under different light (or lack of). :10:

hermosadive:
I didn't take it personally, but I didn't want to see 130' be the impression people had of the dives. Folks around SB tend to jump all over threads when there is any sort controversy and I didn't want to see that happen over our boats. None of the recreational divers on any of our trips have planned dives to 130'.

I hope you come out again. A night dive is being planned by some of the divers now....for the Palawan. Great chance to see it under different light (or lack of). :10:
I understand. I did not intent to give the impression that deep dives were the standard fare, but I also wanted to advise that they may be on the menue and if that was a concern to inquire.

I had to give up my spot on the Boat Saturday because I can not even as I type guarentee I will be able to break free this weekend. I am going to try to get at least a dive in. Then next week (when the night dive is planned for) I will be off doing my thing for the Army for a few weeks until July 2nd. Meanwhile, my gear goes in for its annual maintenance while I am gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom