lobstering info in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
a friend of mine is a mass resedent.

where does he have to go, and how much $$ is it to get a permit.
what are the size, bag limit and other important info.
and can i get a permit as a RI resident in mass?

tkanks

If you're not a resident you can't get one...the limit per bag now is 15, the license is $40 and you or your friend has to get a measuring gage. the laws keep changing every yr. and some things have changed for this yr. again.

http://www.sport.state.ma.us

For $2.00 more you can skip the Boston parking and get a license here. They have a link to all the rules and regs.

15 bugs a day.
3 1/4 inches to 5 inches. eye socket to end of carapace in the Gulf of Maine (north side of the Cape to NH.)
No V-Notch of any size and as silly as it sounds shape. This is the new Zero tolerence policy.
Your Permit Numbers must be displayed and this one is always up for grabs. I have mine on a plackard for more than one diver and on the stripe of my flag for when it is just me. Size and shape and all that is really up in the air but commonsense usually will keep you on the right side of the law.
No parts or pieces may be taken even if the lobster gives them up to you willingly.
No eggers-don't worry you'll know em when you see em.
Cooking time 18 minutes for the first pound and go say another 5 minutes each pound after that.
Butter is allowed to be salted or unsalted, the regulations are very clear on this.

more on cooking: STEAM'M!!! Definitely steam your catch in ocean (salt) water!! bring a 20-30oz water bottle fill it up with sea water after your dive. That should be enoung to give you a good inch and a half in the bottom of the pot. That'll be all you should need to get the steam on!!

Speacil Note: Read and Follow all the Rules the best you can!! you'll only hurt yourself and loose the trust of others by breaking the rules. just NOT worth it for a few pounds of lobster meat!

FYI: it's cheaper to just go the the grocery store and buy the lobsters, ask anyone. Boat (optional): $20,000 (and up),
Dive Equipement: $1500-$3000 (and up),
Dive Training: 3$00 (and up)
License $42.00
Parking, Gas & Airfills: $30-40
One Bug: $13.99 at the supermarket

scubastew:
more on cooking: STEAM'M!!! Definitely steam your catch in ocean (salt) water!!

Ocean water? Why? It's got bacteria and stuff...why not just use ocean salt and tap water?

I really don't know anything about steaming though. My wife wants to buy one and she showed me something but it doesn't seem like any good size lobster would fit into that thing. Any suggestions?

Sea Salt in tap water is okay too, but boiling the sea water will kill any small amounts of bacteria in it. I have even heard of folks steaming the lobster on a bed of seaweed.

I just use a regular pot dump the seawater in (about an inch to an inch and one half and after a good boil toss the little buggers in, close the lid for 15-20 minutes (depending on size and amount).

I have used a steam tray before but thats optional and really doesn make that much of a difference. The steam tray thingy looks like a UFO with a domed top with a bunch of holes in it with four legs (landing gear) when closed. It opens to fan out and keep the item you are steaming from boiling in the hot water. It's like 5.99 or something...

I'd love to learn the diferent ways/techniques folks cook the buggers though.

Wow, thanx, what a great idea! Why didn’t I think of this before? To think, my wife already almost convinced me to shell out $100 for some expensive steamer! Now I can spend that money on really important things, like new dive gloves, fishing stuff and that wetsuit shampoo that I always wanted!

Did you even have problems with lobster touching the sides of the pot and getting burned? Also if you put spices in that water, would they actually get in the meat with steam? Although I usually use so much butter, I can’t taste them anyway. My friend once spent $20 bucks on diff spices that he put in the lobster pots, but they tasted the same as the ones I just boiled without them to me. Maybe I should stop drinking boiling hot tea. :11ztongue

There used to be lobster cooking thread around here, I think we should find and resurrect it.

I'd definitely like to see a cooking thread or forum. I was curious about flounder and crab receipes as well...

I never put any spices the water when steaming lobster, though I do add items to mussels like white wine, choped tomatos, scallions or challots, and some spices

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom