equalizing fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

over

Reaction score
I had not known about equalizing until my scuba quest started. On my open water dives, as I went down, I would equalize, exhale, breathe. This was repeated until we hit the training platform. I have been thinking about this and wondering if I was to start my decent, then pinch & blow, keeping pressure to the ears for many feet? Can this be done safely, or am I just thinking wrong?

Eqaulize early and often. You do it more by feel then anything else. The way to learn to do it is to dive, dive and dive more. Many moons ago I had trouble equalizing. Now I can equalize as fast as I can drop down. Don't overthink it, just do it. It will come.

Jim

over:
I had not known about equalizing until my scuba quest started. On my open water dives, as I went down, I would equalize, exhale, breathe. This was repeated until we hit the training platform. I have been thinking about this and wondering if I was to start my decent, then pinch & blow, keeping pressure to the ears for many feet? Can this be done safely, or am I just thinking wrong?

Maybe I misunderstood the question....?

I was taught that this might be a bad idea to continue to pinch and hold your nose the entire way down. By doing this, you have effectively created a sealed wall container through your entire sinus cavity and eustachian tubes..... in the end, causing injury.

A good example of a sealed wall container is your mask. By not blowing through your nose to equalize the pressure in your mask, you are creating one heck of a vacuum.

Happy Diving & Cheers!!

Yeah to agree with Canadian Diver, you will need to equalize repeatedly. One long exhale for many feet will get your hurt. Its a quick pinch and clear beginning on the surface and every couple of feet on descent that keeps the ears happy.

Canadian_Diver:
Maybe I misunderstood the question....?

I was taught that this might be a bad idea to continue to pinch and hold your nose the entire way down. By doing this, you have effectively created a sealed wall container through your entire sinus cavity and eustachian tubes..... in the end, causing injury.

A good example of a sealed wall container is your mask. By not blowing through your nose to equalize the pressure in your mask, you are creating one heck of a vacuum.

Happy Diving & Cheers!!

What do Canadians know? Don't they keep on sending all that cold air all the time? :wink:

One continous blow? You mean like this? :shocked:

I Agree with everyone equalize early and often just like voting!

I've found the easiest way is to equalize on every breath while descending. Starting from the surface exhale and vent to descend. Then inhale, equalize and exhale repeatedly until you level off at your target depth.

Ok, I'l just keep doing it the way I've been doing it. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Mitch

over:
Ok, I'l just keep doing it the way I've been doing it. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Mitch

Practice, practice, even before you get in the water. I've gotten to the point
I rarely have to pinch off to equalize. You can equalize with every breath by
moving your jaw a bit. Keep working at it and you won't even have to think
about equalizing. AND if you have a problem, STOP your descent, go up a few
feet - then pinch and equalize, don't push your luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom