Hyperbaric Chamber visit report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
I had a very interesting experience this morning. A visit to the Hyperbaric Chamber in Haifa (Israel) including a lecture from Dr. Yehuda Melamed, former chief MD for the Israeli Navy and an expert on decompression.

Dr. Melamed took us through a 2 hour lecture on N2 narcosis, followed by a dry dive in the decompression chamber, down to 50 msw (165 fsw), for a bottom time of 15 minutes. we were taken up with 3 safety stops at 9,6 and 3 msw, while being on 100% O2 from 6 msw and up. What an experience.

Down at 50 msw we were given a math problem, multiplying 2 four figure numbers. When we came up, dr. Melamed was surprised to see that most of us got the answers right.

The interesting thing was that we got the chance to really feel N2 narcosis in a controled environment. Hopefully it will help if I have to meet it in a real life situation.

Following the dive we had another two hours talking about DCS, including going through the mechanism of DCS, some very interesting case studies from Israel and worldwide and pictures of DCS damaged tissues, in the brain, spine and elsewhere.

Dr. Melamed went ahead to offer some initial methods of treatment, until the DCS victim gets to the Hospital and especially stressed for the use of 100% O2 in atmospheric pressure, were available.

All and all, I must recomend this day to all divers, at any level, but especially DMs, tech divers and above. I really think that understanding the signs and mechanisms of both N2 narcosis and DCS can surely save lives.

If you have the chance and find a class that deals with these issues, take it.

Ari :)

Waaay cool experience and thanks for the great report.

I agree that it would be a wonderful opportunity to gain experience like that in a controlled environment.

I'll have to inquire with my tek instructors to see if such an opportunity exists around here....

(or since Dr. Deco is in Houston, I wonder what sort of bribe he would require :tease: )

Dear TexasMike:

I will look into the possibility of the class in Houston in the near future.:thumb:

Until then, there is still space in the class on Catalina Island.

Advanced Decompression Phsiology, June 22-23, 2002
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr Deco:doctor:

Originally posted by Dr Deco
Dear TexasMike:

I will look into the possibility of the class in Houston in the near future.:thumb:

Until then, there is still space in the class on Catalina Island.

Advanced Decompression Phsiology, June 22-23, 2002
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr Deco:doctor:

Umm Can we swim in the big pool? I might be able to make that! :D

T'otherwise, any plans for coming up to Ontario, Doc?

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
Umm Can we swim in the big pool? I might be able to make that!
Wouldn't that be something for the log book?

Dive the Space Shuttle...or at least the mock-up in the Neutral Bouyancy Lab.

Way cool!

I betcha we can get all the divers you can stand if it's in Houston. And for me, I'd be interested in here a short talk on how diving physiology crosses over to your work with space travel.

Also, be sure to keep us up to date about other educational opportunities that you're part of that we can attend. From what great things KN has to say about you, I'm very interested in hearing you speak.

Texans and Canucks together in the NBL

Can you say...

"Houston, we have a problem!"

:updown:

Dr Deco:doctor: [/B]

Wow, no way we'd want to miss a chance like this! We'd gladly make the drive from Austin. =]

I'm near Beaumont, so it's just a short jog over to Houston - I'd really enjoy learning more about DCS.

Back
Top Bottom