Nitrox instead of air for lower DCS risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm an old toad, but in good shape. I want to minimize age-induced risks of DCS. I've been diving on air, with depths mostly in the range of 60 to 100 feet. I'm usually a hoover, so I usually have less remaining air time than the no-deco limit, so I don't need nitrox for more bottom time (yet).

When we were talking about managing my risk of DCS, my LDS operator suggested switching from air to nitrox. This is not a scam to charge me more for fills, BTW. If I were to adopt EANx32 as my standard mix, my normal depths would be comfortably below its MOD. Moreover, using EANx28 would cover me for all recreational depths. I'd use nitrox on "shallow" dives, too.

The suggestion seems logical to me. There would be less nitrogen entering my tissues, therefore less to off-gas, therefore fewer bubbles and cascades, and reduced chance of "subclinical DCS" (NetDoc's term for post-dive tiredness and lethargy).

What do you think? In general, would breathing nitrox instead of air reduce my risk of DCS?

PADI's standard line is that it does not reduce the risk of DCS, but I think that's just one big CYA exercise on their part. If they say nitrox has a lower risk, then they're also saying air has a higher risk.

___

BigTuna:
What do you think? In general, would breathing nitrox instead of air reduce my risk of DCS?

It will certainly reduce the amount of nitrogen that your are on-gassing by a measurable percentage.

If you push the NDL on air and push it on nitrox, the benefit is more bottom time, but no reduction in DCS risk.

If you dive the same time to the same depth, there's less risk of DCS with nitrox.

yeah, what Walter said, though i'd phrase it differently:

if you dive Nitrox as though it were air (i.e. you use air NDL's), you are
clearly lowering your DCS risk.

if you dive Nitrox as though it were Nitrox, to take advantage of longer bottom
times, then, no... you have the same risk of DCS as diving air to its equivalent time.

Walter:
If you push the NDL on air and push it on nitrox, the benefit is more bottom time, but no reduction in DCS risk.

If you dive the same time to the same depth, there's less risk of DCS with nitrox.

Assumptions, literally.

I'm 48. My dive profile with nitrox is the same as if it were on air, I never dive below 100' feet on either and schedule the same bottom time on both gases. I HOPE that I receive the benefit of EANx...

daniel f aleman:
Assumptions, literally.

lol, no

we *know* that diving with less nitrogen means diving at a "shallower" depth
than at the same depth on air. thus... same time at a "shallower" depth builds
in extra safety against DCS

since you are planning your dives on air, but diving at a shallower depth
(due to the Nitrox), you are diving safer dives than regular air dives,
DCS-risk wise

daniel f aleman:
I'm 48. My dive profile with nitrox is the same as if it were on air, I never dive below 100' feet on either and schedule the same bottom time on both gases. I HOPE that I receive the benefit of EANx...

In that case your risk of DCS is lower.

Who is this "we" Andy?

I do not IN FACT know whether I am diving "safer" on EANx than that of air, I dove a gazillion dives on air to depths below 100' over twenty years - I'm still here.

Now, as I've said, I stopped diving on air seven years ago completely (after Trimix 2)... so...

Back
Top Bottom