Free diving and pressure related problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
The news recently covered a story about the women's free diving record being broken. The dive was 300+ feet deep and lasted over two minutes. I became curious as to what kind of immediate or long term problems this practice could effect. Do these divers avoid DCI because they are taking a single breath? Are there other problems that may result due to presssure? I'm not planning on diving to such depths, but am just interested in the science of the sport.
Thanks,
JAW

Many repeated free dives can cause TARAVANA wich is a decompression accident.

This happened in oesters divers from the Touamotu islands whisch where free diving 20 to 40 metres.
Taravan can be mild : vertigo, vomiting,nausea
can be serious: neurologic symptoms
sometimes it can leed to death mainly by drowness.
The serious symptoms will releave within 24 to 48 hours in 95% of the cases, somethimes lasting for a few days.
The symptons relate more a cortical lesion than a spinal cord lesion, because the symptoms are often unilateral.
Psychological symtoms may also occure such as the boxer's " punch drunk ".

Donnet, Coriol, Millet (1954) seem to think that this accident might be relating to bubble formation within the short half period tissues mainly the blood.
Those bubbles will embolise in the terminal vascularisation of the brain causing symptoms.

The number of molecules of N are constant , but the O2 is used and the CO2 if fixed within the blood, so the ppN ( partial pressure of nitrogen N) is rising within the pulmonary alveoles causing dissolution of Nitrogen in the schort half time tissues such as blood

Tarravana occure while executing many repetitive ( more tha 15 dives/hour for 6 to 10 hours ) add to this a fast ascend and co2 liberation from where it was fixed and you might have a Tarravana.

Dont forget about schallow water black out due to important hyperventilation and low ppCO2 before diving

Ear barotrauma might occure if diving very deep because the volume of air is so reduced that you won't have air enough to ba able to compensate rising pressure.

If going to deep too fast you might experience a blood pooling within the lungs, no more blood will fill you left cardiac cavities and the result is cardiac arrest.

Sorry for my written English

Fa:)

Dear JAW:

I am not aware of any problems associate with a single, deep dive of this nature. I would suspect that the gas loads of nitrogen are not great enough in the short time and limited nitrogen stores in the lungs to cause a problem. In addition, there is the effect of immersion bradycardia (= slowing of the heart with immersion in water). Nothing in the line of DCS has ever been reported from these record-setting dives.

The situation with repetitive dives, as indicated by the previous response from SKY (above), is quite different. Here we have what amounts to a large number of very vigorous dives with gas loading and a somewhat rested short surface interval that is not conducive to off gassing. When these are repeated with the frequency of several per hour, appreciable gas loads apparently can result. This concatenation of dives, repeated hour after hour, can apparently result in neurological DCS.

Dr Deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom