Out of shape after a good dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcgoose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry if this is redundant, I've been reading through the threads about exercising before, after diving, waiting 30-60 mins...... conclusive data, not conclusive data, it's all a bit confusing to me. I have planned dive trip to the Red Sea in June for about 2 weeks and I am also training at home for triathlons. I don't want to come home and be really behind the 8-ball and be out of shape. I would like to at least continue to maintain my cardio health while away. That would mean morning and/or afternoon runs. Anywhere from 4-10 miles. Any suggestions. Thanks!

I'm a long distance runner so I feel your pain. My personal rule is no cardio for at least several hours after cool-down before diving and 24 hours after diving. The former is based on the more conservative of DAN's recommendations, while the latter somewhat based on the (old) flying-after-diving recommendations. Sorry. Also, hydration is even more critical than individually for either activity. An adult male of average weight can loose almost 2 L/hour when running. It may also be more important for divers to not only rehydrate but re-establish their internal water equilibrium more quickly by replacing lost water during exercise and not waiting till afterwards, although it's not easy to drink this much quickly or while moving. (Still looking for more research on this.)

Hi Bleeb:

I once thought that you should wait several hours BEFORE diving, but recent studies suggest that whatever nuclei are formed, are crushed with the dive. Exercise about four hours AFTER the dive is not a good idea.

Also exercise BEFORE altitude depress - as in the airplne home - is also not good. Surface interval exercsie is not put into the DAN Fly-Dive experiments (an error, I believe).

Interesting thought. Thanks.

As a follow-up to diving-after-exercising, are you aware (or anyone else reading this) of, or have any pointers to information about how fast it's possible to rehydrate after exercising? I'm wondering how much water is lost from intracellular and intercellular spaces during normal heavy exercise, and how fast you can refill it. There's the 'pee is clear' rule of thumb, but does that mean the whole body is well hydrated or just the blood stream? Do you loose enough from those not-well-connected parts of the body for a diver to be concerned?

So Dr. D are you saying it's ok to exercise before diving? and should wait 4 hours after.

Interesting thought. Thanks.

As a follow-up to diving-after-exercising, are you aware (or anyone else reading this) of, or have any pointers to information about how fast it's possible to rehydrate after exercising? I'm wondering how much water is lost from intracellular and intercellular spaces during normal heavy exercise, and how fast you can refill it. There's the 'pee is clear' rule of thumb, but does that mean the whole body is well hydrated or just the blood stream? Do you loose enough from those not-well-connected parts of the body for a diver to be concerned?

Mentioning ICF (intracellar fluids) and ECF (extracellular) nearly sent me rocketing into a frenzy about body water balance. But for your practical questions about hydration, this may be a start: WMI - Article Archives: Hydration (WMI/NOLS is a widely respected organization for outdoors medicine).

(Oh, and did you know or do you care that bone tissue contains more water than does fat/adipose tissue?)

Last edited:
Hi bcgoose:

Yes. I would recommend waiting four hours after diving before you participate in strenuous activity.:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom