DCS risk or am i completely over-reacting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
here's the low down ;

I dont really see how my dive profile was even remotely DCS prone. ..

Did two dives on sunday (today is wednesday) ... first to 13 metres ... I had recently had a cold, which seemed to have mostly subsided, i could easily equalize my ears, and breathe through nose. I was a bit sleep deprived, and a tad hungover (i know, i know...). Dive was only 20 minutes, after having to come back up due to a fellow diver having trouble. Profile was a little yo-yo'ish due to the terrain.

Second dive was 50 minutes at max of 7 metres ... with 2 yo-yo's to the surface.

Ascent rates were always within limits, though did come up quite fast on first dive due to mate being in trouble ... but computer never threw me any alarms. (alladin)

Anyways, what i did notice was some strong sinus squeeze and possibly reverse block pain ... and then a nasty blood nose at surface at end of second dive. I never get blood noses. The pain was like high intensity stinging behind the nose, eyes, and forehead. Evidentally the head cold still had some bearing even though I thought i was OK ...

the pain went away at sea level ... and that was that.

Around 24 - 36hrs after the dive I started noticing very intermittent and shortlived stabs of pain behind my eyes, and also around them under the eyelids (not severe, and goes away within seconds) ... and have had pain in my shoulders that continues, though its not joint itself, its muscular knots (rumboids) ... and the weekend did have a lot of swimming, waterskiing, carrying heavy gear, moving boats around, and the usual antics of a holiday weekend.

it all just feels a bit weird ... and the eye thing has me a little concerned ... am i dreaming that this could be diving related? Perhaps just sensitivity and a bit of non DCS damage from the headcold pressure issues?

Carting myself off to the doctors here, particular chamber ... is many thousands of dollars (though of course I would do it if i knew something was wrong...). I think i may just have my head in a bit of a spin ... start reading up on DCS and its very vague, wide-ranging and hard to pinpoint!

Any thoughts welcome ...

Your best bet if you are concerned is to phone the number for DAN....right above your post.

Good luck

Hmmm...

Fast ascent, yo-yo profiles, alcohol in system, sleep deprived, heavy lifting...

And you don't see how this could be a DCS risk? Stop rationalizing. Make the call before your issues get any worse.

As Bygolly said I would suggest calling DAN ... they will be able to give you a lot quicker advice than you will get here.

Better to be safe than sorry.

ok cool thanks for the advice. I rang DAN and was pleasantly suprised to find they had a normal australian english speaking doc who would discuss it free of charge over the phone ... gave him the exact same details as here, he asked a bunch of questions and said nah highly doubts its DCS related ... but probably did a bit of damage to the sinuses which will heal over time .. and said stay out of water for 10 days ....

bd:
ok cool thanks for the advice. I rang DAN and was pleasantly suprised to find they had a normal australian english speaking doc who would discuss it free of charge over the phone ... gave him the exact same details as here, he asked a bunch of questions and said nah highly doubts its DCS related ... but probably did a bit of damage to the sinuses which will heal over time .. and said stay out of water for 10 days ....

Good choice, and don't you feel much better knowing that, I know I would

DAN do great work, maybe you should consider joinig DANSEAP could save you a lot of money in the end and give you peace of mind

Hello bd :

This has signs of being cause by sinus irritation. Your call to DAN set your mind at ease. :coffee:

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2009 is April 4 and 5 :read:
This class is on Catalina Island at the USC Marine Laboratory. Contact Karl Huggins at the web site: Advanced Decompression Physiology Seminar Information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom