Chiropractic treatments after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all

Hopefully I'm in the right forum, but please let me know if I'm not. I've started going to a chiropractor for some minor back problems and was wondering if some studies have been done on the effect of chiropractic adjustments after diving. Is the air that's libertated ("cracking sound", like for your knuckles) when the adjustment is done at all related to the bubbles formed from diving? I asked DAN on the subject, they don't have a clue.

Thanks

Jean

Dear Jean:

Spinal Adjustment

The phenomenon about which you are referring is “Stephan adhesion” or “viscous adhesion.” Here, two surfaces such as bone (or vertebral disks) that are quickly separated will momentarily have a vacuum between them. Since there is a small inertia in liquids, these fluids will require a bit of time to move; that vacuum (space) will persist for a few milliseconds. Under proper conditions, these will persist. In the spine, the free-gas phase (“vacuum phenomenon&#8221:wink: will persist for hours or longer. In the fluid between your cells (in the case of a scuba diver), these microbubbles can be stabilized by the surface adsorption of macromolecules always present in biological fluids. The difference in the molecules might be the reason for the decompression characteristics of individuals.

While the presence of these bubbles might sound alarming, they are without any pathological consequences. I would be hesitant to dive following such a manipulation, but I do not have any experience in this particular area. I once heard of a diver who “popped” his back after surfacing and collapsed with neurological DCS. :wacko: This would make you suspicious that something untoward could occur.

As you mentioned, the whole process is similar to popping one’s knuckles. This is, by the way, more difficult to do at deep depth than on the surface (if I remember correctly).

The fact that you can pop your knuckles and not feel any pain is a classic illustration of the fact that bubble formation within the joint fluid is not responsible for the pain of “the bends.”

I am surprised that DAN could not give you an explanation such as this.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Thank you for the info. I talked to my chiro today about this and he says the bubble are both from different sources. But he did confirm your knuckle cracking theory at depth.

So it is safe to dive while taking regular chiropractic treatments. Although despite everything, I will always make sure I have a 24-hour gap between my dives and adjustments.

As for DAN not having the info, I was surprised as well, but I'm guessing since non-traditional medicine methods are still dark areas, I immagine it will remain that way for a few years still.

Jean

... by any means... however, my grandfather is a Chiropractor, and I get treatments rather frequently... and I haven't noticed any problems to speak of!:)

Kayla:)

Hi Jean:

Bubbles from Different Sources :wink:

Yes, the bubbles from “cracking the back” and DCS are from different sources. I did not wish to imply that “the bends” and the “vacuum phenomena” were one in the same. Sorry about that if this impression came across. However, it is possible that spinal cord decompression sickness (neurological DCS) could appear following diving. I have never heard any reports of this, though.

The similarity lies in the generation process in the tissues of the connective system, the tendons and ligaments, and of the capillaries. When these are compressed and then rapidly expanded, they too can form low-pressure regions momentarily and nuclei will form and can be stabilized for a period of time. This is just one process of stress-assisted nucleation and several others are known.

Nuclei can form in many tissues of the body but not all bubbles will produce DCS. Many bubbles form virtually harmlessly in adipose (fat) tissue and likewise in muscle tissue. None many be particularly helpful but not all will cause a problem.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Back
Top Bottom