Over-expansion injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattS

New
Reaction score
I did my first dive when I was 15 in Indonesia without a ticket and the danger of over-expansion injury was not made as apparent as it should have been. Is there a chance that I could have done injury and not had noticeable symptoms. Is it possible/complicated for a doctor to check whether any damage has been done?

What part of your body do you feel has been over-expanded?

What part of your body do you feel has been over-expanded?

ScarJo_popcorn-1.gif

I just wasnt properly instructed on the importance of expelling air when ascending, and I know it can cause a few different injuries. I was just wondering if it is something that can be checked out by a doctor?

I just wasnt properly instructed on the importance of expelling air when ascending, and I know it can cause a few different injuries. I was just wondering if it is something that can be checked out by a doctor?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you're fine. Lung-over expansion injuries are usually pretty significant; symptomatic at the least.

Out of curiosity when was the dive in question?

Holding your breath and ascending can cause injuries. As long as you were breathing on the way up, you're probably fine. You don't need to specifically "expel" air. Just breathe normally.

Was this recent, or a long time ago?

Terry

For what you are discussing, the injury most-feared would be lung over-expansion on ascent.

Are we talking years ago, or yesterday?

For the most part, for this type of injury I'd say totally symptom-free = injury-free. No pain, coughing up pink froth, no sudden death, no symptoms of embolism??.... you are probably just fine :wink:

I'll have my office staff send you a bill in the morning :D

Seriously, if this dive was a long time ago, or even last week, or even this morning.... don't worry about it. If you do however have a serious concern, call DAN.

Best wishes.

There are a variety of over-expansion injuries. They can range from collapsed lung, to air in the center of the chest (pneumomediastinum) to arterial gas embolism. None of the syndromes is asymptomatic. If this dive occurred some time ago, and you have had no symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hello MattS:

If nothing bad occurred, then all is well. If this was a shallow dive and ascent, a problem might not have arrisen if the lungs were not full of air.

Thanks alot guys yeah it was a couple of years ago and its probably all good it just made me a bit paranoid that I didnt know the danger of holding my breath at the time and wanted to check that if there was injury I would know about it. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom