microparticules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkwalt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard a presentation at Beneath the Sea recently on the role of microparticules in DCS. I did some PubMed searches and found little. The current data that were presented made a lot of sense as to the pathophysiology of DCS. I would be interested in hearing what Dr. Deco and others known about this exciting topic. Thanks

microbubble decompression - PubMed - NCBI
brings up about 50 results. It's one in the morning here and my brain is fried so I'm not much more use than that, but some of them look quite usefull.

There are several good threads here on microbubbles and in the computer forum (especially the suunto RGBM)

Jon

Hello gkwalt:

I currently do not any idea of what “micro particles” might be. [Possibly I know these by a different name.] Others might be aware of them or possibly even heard the talk at the meeting. Microbubbles are certainly present and these are an old topic.

Let us seewhat happens.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Very interesting abstract. If their observations are real, one would really think that aspirin should be protective from DCS, and as far as I know, that's never been shown to be the case.

The presentation was given by someone at Penn. This really seems like cutting edge stuff. Microparticules are parts of certain cells that are created in response to certain types of injury. This concept may explain why some divers get bent with conservative profiles and why the garden variety bubbles that occur with almost every dive don't always cause DCS.

I could be wrong, but I believe when I participated in the DAN research study at Innerspace last year one of the things they were doing was drawing blood looking at biomarkers, and I thought micro particles as a result of decompression diving. That there is a breakdown of components as a reaction to the stress created by decompressing diving. I could be way off too.

I just did a quick pubmed on the latest work of Dr. Steve Thom. I now have some bedside reading! the latest articles look really quite interesting from their abstracts.

I had not heard of this work before. Thanks gkwalt for bringing it to my attention (and Duke Dive Medicine for the name of the lab), and sorry for sending you to the microbubble medline page, I thought that you must have misheard something.

Jon

Hello gkwalt :

Microparticles

Micro particles are micron sized vesicles [about one tenth the diameter of a red blood cell] inthe blood. They are normally in low concentration in the plasma but levels increase with injury, particularly vascular disease. They are formed from cell membranes from calcium ions,”flipase,” “flopase” and “scramblase” – an apparent admixture of an active literary imagination.

These vesicles are present, among others, in vascular diseases, arteriosclerotic disease,sickle cell children, and obstructive sleep apnea. Since I have the latter [and use a CPAPdevice], I guess I have these particles also, to some degree.

Bubbles and DCS

In my work published since 1971, I have argued that the bubbles in the vascular system are not theones causing DCS. These bubbles arise primarily from muscle and fat tissue and DCS [bends] bubbles are primarily extravascular. The relationship between DCS and Doppler bubbles is not strong for this reason [vascular and extravascular bubbles]. This concept has not been popular since I first stated it in 1975. Simply put, peoplelove Dopplers and vascular bubbles.

Powell,M. R. 1971. Decompression from pressure:monitoring by ultrasound. Union CarbideCorporation Technical Memo, Tarrytown, New York

MRPowell. Leg pain and gas bubbles in therat following decompression from pressure: monitoring by ultrasound: Aerospace Med., 43, 168-172 (1972).

MRPowell. Gas phase separation followingdecompression in asymptomatic rats: visual and ultrasound monitoring: Aerospace Med., 43, 1240-1244 (1972).

Bends and Severe DCS

Researchers tellme that they are not really interested anymore in “bends” DCS since this is simple and straightforward. Thus I will assume that Dr Thom is discussing severe, neurologic DCS. Historically, every few years, something newis found and is trumpeted as the new cause of DCS. In the 70s, this was red cell aggregation andthen platelet aggregation. In the 80s,we had various biochemical intermediates. None produced the results in humans that were observed in animals.

Animal experiments virtually always have death as the endpoint. Any diver knows that death is not the endpoint in tables – it is joint pain. Joint pain DCS and animal death are notrelated. I first published this in 1971 [above]with other experiments in 1974.

MRPowell. Doppler ultrasound monitoring ofvenous gas bubbles in pigs following decompression from helium, neon, andair. Aerospace Med., 45, 505-508 (1974).

The experimentsmentioned in the Thom paper also have death as the endpoint. Who knows what would find with so many bubbles that pulmonary gas embolism results and death ensues.

I found that big biochemical changes were associated with a gross gas load and very severe DCS.

GFDoebbler, MR Powell, RW Hamilton, Jr. Biochemical indicators of decompression sickness. In: Proceedings: International Symposium on Blood-Bubble Interactions. In Decompression Sickness, Toronto, August(1974).

MRPowell, GF Doebbler, RW Hamilton, Jr. Serum enzyme level changes in pigsfollowing decompression trauma. Aerospace Med., 45, 519-524 (1974).

DCS bubblesare fun to study but that is not where the real question is. What is needed to know is why some individuals produce a gas phase in the first place. I retired before I could ever begin to tackle that question.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thank you scubaboard for the education.

I now have to read the articles in more detail, as this is quite interesting. In my day job I look at psychological stress and it's long term effects on the immune and other systems. Now, over the last six months or so we have collected data on circulating miRNAs after stress or glucocorticoid administration. What we see is a large increase in these miRNA. Now, these miRNA don't circulate by themselves, they a encapsulated in these lipid micro particles. There are thoughts, and now some data, that many situations release these micro particles, MI, infection, to name but two.

It would be good to see if the micro particles observed by Dr Thom are the same we see (is there a link between stress and dcs?), where they come from (bubble damaged tissue?) and how they activate the neutrophils.

Jon the intrigued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom