DCS or Hypochondriac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MFG95

New
Reaction score
Background: Did two dives yesterday, the first to max 90ft and the second to max 60ft. I was well within my dive computer's already conservative profile (Suunto P1). Water temps in the mid 50's. I was quite cold during the deep dive.

About 7 hours after the last dive (in the middle of the night) I was awoken by both of my hands having fallen asleep. I was not sleeping on my hands so I've ruled that out. After clenching my fists a few times and getting blood pumping back through they felt better. I went back to sleep and woke up 3 hours later with the same thing. I should say that I have woken up to an asleep hand a couple of times in my life but never both hands, twice in one night no less.

I called DAN that morning and they suggested to wait and see if the numbness persists. They didn't mention how long I should wait. Anyways, the rest of my day was normal but my hands and forearms never quite felt normal. It has now been over 24 hrs since my last dive and my hands aren't tingly but they still feel...odd. Sort of an ultra-mild numbness.

I'm going to see if the same thing happens to my hands tonight. The DAN guy said that usually with DCS and tingly hands, it doesn't go away by just clenching your hands to get the blood pumping. I should mention I am active, healthy and in my mid 20s, so poor circulation seems unlikely.

Is there any easy way to diagnose this as a nerve issue rather than DCS? Also, can tight wetsuit wrists cause numbness that would appear almost 8 hours later?

If I am still tingly tomorrow I'm going to head to the dive doc.

Thanks!

EDIT: I have no other noticeable symptoms such as blotchy skin or pain anywhere but the numbness in my hands. However, I have felt sort of "out of it" since convincing myself I may have had a mild hit.

Hi MFG95,

Very unlikely this symptom represents DCS:

- onset ~8-hrs post-dive, while not unheard of, would be quite delayed
- symmetrical involvement of the hands bilaterally & as a sole symptom would be a quite atypical finding in DCS
- DCS-related paraesthesias are not relieved by such actions as movement of the affected joint/body part, nor do they come-and-go

Rather than DCS, it sounds as if a reduction in blood flow to the hands/forearms due to transient mechanical reasons may be involved.

As to, “Is there any easy way to diagnose this as a nerve issue rather than DCS?”, DCS-related paraesthesias are the result of involvement of nerves.

As to, “can tight wetsuit wrists cause numbness that would appear almost 8 hours later?”, tight wetsuit arms/wrists can cause such paraesthesias, but if this was the cause the sensations would be expected to develop much sooner than ~8-hrs post-removal of the garment.

Please let the board know how this situation resolves.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

UPDATE: Hands went back to normal by the next afternoon. I believe it might have been a combination of low blood sugar that day as well as the cold water and tight wetsuit. Thanks DocVikingo!

Another possibility in this case is carpal tunnel syndrome. It's quite common for people to sleep with their wrists flexed, and awaken with numbness or pain in the hands. If you can reproduce the symptoms by holding your wrists strongly flexed for a few minutes, the diagnosis is likely.

Maybe the OP was dreaming about riding a Harley Davidson? Not trying to make light of the situation- just killing time as it's windy as anything outside and I had to cancel my dives with 2 DMs as guests :(

Back
Top Bottom