Am I bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello experts, I will describe first my dive profile then state my symptoms and timeline ...

I had 4 dives in 2 consecutive days. First day I had very little sleep at night (only 3 hours) and I had a lot of tension before that day. First dive to maximum 14.5m for 28 minutes (average depth 10m), second dive after about 4 hours SI to a maximum of 16m for 35 min (average depth 9.3m). Second day first dive (almost 16 hours SI) to a max depth of 20.5m for 29 min (average depth 11m) and second dive with 3 hours SI to a max depth of 13.7m for 45 min ( average depth 9m). Water temperature was around 24-25 degrees celcius and I was not feeling any cold but air temperature was high (35 degrees) and very sunny, I was drinking lots of water. During the dives I exerted lots of efforts as I was a dive guide to a group of newly certified divers that I needed to care for.

After the last dive I suffered from aspiration syndrome giving me high temperature and bone-ache (but it was gone by medication: paracetamol) and I was feeling ok.

Driving back home my left arm was in some strong sunny conditions for almost an hour and holding the wheel with my left hand specifically my thumb and forefinger.

reaching home about 10 hours after my last dive I was completely exhausted and started to feel some numbness in my left hand thumb. I drank lots of water and slept for 9 hours. In the morning I was feeling fine then started to feel numbness again in my thumb and extended to my forefinger then my thumb was ok after a while leaving my forefinger feeling strange especially the first knuckle near the tip. Meanwhile I felt some strange feeling in my left foot (and in a while it was both feet), it is not numbness but rather something like heat in my foot from below, something like having high uric acid feeling but it comes and goes but no severe pain and it appears usually while I am sitting in my office, once I start moving around it decreases a lot.

I went to see a hyperbaric doctor and he said just to be on the safe side I have to get into the chamber for a couple of hours @ 18m. In the chamber all symptoms disappeared, however as we were ascending I started to feel the heat again in both my feet. and after finishing the chamber I had a feeling in both my hands and feet that you get when you sit or sleep on your hand and you find it asleep and starts to awake, that tingling feeling of blood flowing into them, this lasted for a couple of hours (it didn't bother me as I usually have this kind of feeling after dives) and I was ok. Slept for the night almost 10 hours and feeling much better.

Now in the office I feel minor traces of yesterday's feeling in my forefinger tip but much much better than yesterday and still that heat feeling in my feet (somehow decreased than yesterday). So far it doesn't bother me as it seems to be fading out and related to the way I sit on my chair.

My questions now:

1- Did I get bent? is it the heat? stress? lack of sleep? extra effort done within the dives? my dive computer didn't warn me against anything and I was over cautious doing extra 1-2 minutes over the 3 minutes for a safety stop. Ah, one thing I forgot to mention, in my last dive I was trying a new fin that was tight a little bit on my feet and caused them to tingle a little bit but it was all ok once I took them off. Or is it due to the way I was driving home (4 hours after my last dive and driving for 6 hours) with my left arm in strong sun and mechanically using my thumb and forefinger to steer the wheel so that is why I had this feeling only in these 2 fingers and sitting for 6 hours in the car (minor stops on the way) causing my feet to get this feeling from below?

2- Do I need to go for a second ride in the chamber just to be on the safe side? I am still drinking lots of water to help clear out anything.
Did the chamber ride yesterday really help or was it going to fade away anyway?

3- Can someone advise what not to do so that this doesn't occur again?

Thanks for your help.

Tight boots, tight drysuit cuffs, wrist computers too tight can all contribute to DCS. What kind of shape are you in? If you are 5'5" and shaped like a basket ball, it's possible you got bent. Looking at your dives, you should be ok provided none of the conditions above were present and you were well rested, well hydrated, relaxed, etc. The fact that the symptoms went away at pressure is either indicative of DCS or it's in your head.

It's hard to say. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so I'd probably go talk to a real one. Regardless of whether it's DCS or not, you need the symptoms to go away.

I would contact DAN ASAP. That is exactly why they exist! Even if your not a member, they are more than happy to answer questions. If you're not a member...you should be...every diver should be!!

Call them!! 919-684-9111

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Last edited:
Hello Solly:

This does not sound as if it were a gas loading problem. Divers sometimes do experience strange sensations from exertion, tight-fitting gear, and the like. Responses from the chamber ride were nonconclusive, and I doubt another exposure at this time wouldbe of value.

I can not say how to avoid this again. Certainly more sleep and less strenuous activity would be gentler to your body. Let us see if others have experienced this situation.

Tight boots, tight drysuit cuffs, wrist computers too tight can all contribute to DCS. What kind of shape are you in? If you are 5'5" and shaped like a basket ball, it's possible you got bent. Looking at your dives, you should be ok provided none of the conditions above were present and you were well rested, well hydrated, relaxed, etc. The fact that the symptoms went away at pressure is either indicative of DCS or it's in your head.

It's hard to say. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so I'd probably go talk to a real one. Regardless of whether it's DCS or not, you need the symptoms to go away.

I am 6'2" and I am overwight. Tight boots/fins were the case, but woudl I get bent in both feet or should it be related to one side of the body? is it decompression sickness in this case or something else?
Fully unrested I admit but well hydrated and I was not relaxed most of the time !
Symptoms are fading away, I didn't call DAN but dropped them an email as I thought I do not want their on-the-spot help as I was seeing the hyperbaric doctor. Symptoms fading away after the chamber ride might be due to the chamber or due to they needed time to go away but for sure they were not in my head, I felt them and still see traces. I had to rule out any DCS related reason before looking to something else.

Hello Solly:

This does not sound as if it were a gas loading problem. Divers sometimes do experience strange sensations from exertion, tight-fitting gear, and the like. Responses from the chamber ride were nonconclusive, and I doubt another exposure at this time wouldbe of value.

I can not say how to avoid this again. Certainly more sleep and less strenuous activity would be gentler to your body. Let us see if others have experienced this situation.
I agree with you, the symptoms for me were not clear whether DCS or something else but I thought to rule out this possibility and whether it was the chamber ride or time took care of part of the symptoms I just needed to start feeling better :)
I postponed the second chamber session that was scheduled today as the symptoms are fading and I had to time, I will continue monitoring myself till tomorrow and then I might go for it just to be in the safe side !

Thanks all for your help, I am waiting for more opinions and/or similar experience.

I am 6'2" and I am overwight. Tight boots/fins were the case, but woudl I get bent in both feet or should it be related to one side of the body? is it decompression sickness in this case or something else?

Hi Solly,

Concur with Dr Deco. Unlikely this is DCS.

Involvement of the hands (primarily paraesthesia of the L-forefinger & thumb, but some bilateral "tingling") and feet bilaterally (sensation of "heat") without any other symptoms/signs (other than for otherwise explicable fatigue that resolved completely w/sleep) would be a very odd presentation for DCS, indeed.

BTW, in your initial post you mention, "...it is not numbness but rather something like heat in my foot from below, something like having high uric acid feeling...." Have you by any chance ever been diagnosed with gout or other arthridity?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

No not gout but at some point I had high uric acid percentage and I as on some medication to reduce it. I recall the feeling from back then...

Yesterday I didn't go for the second session, the feeling was there but in general fading but with low rate. Sleeping early as usual I encountered numbness in my left arm and leg when I am on my right side and went immediately upon changing position (this occurred once or twice but then I was sleeping normally on my right side with no problems!). This is not DCS (all symptoms are coming too late not after the dive immediately, might be just fatigue !) and might be normal however I don't understand what is going on :)

I woke up little bit exhausted and need to continue to sleep :) but other than that I am fully functioning mentally and physically.... I will head to the physician again today with the new things and might head to the other chamber session or at least get his opinion whether I should do some medical checkups for something non-dive related !

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

A final update, the physician said that it is not likely to be DCS and he thinks it is something in my back and asked for an MRI on the lower lumbar spine.

Back
Top Bottom