DCS questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwbh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, it's been apx. 36 hours since I surfaced from a dive. I had 2 dives to 30 ft. I am not sure of the time because I didnt have a timer or computer. they were likely a little over hour each but could have possibly been 90 mins each, I just went until the tanks went from 3000 to 500 psi. I am a huge hypochondriac but I have been noticing some very mild symptoms since about 2 hours after my dive... i dont know if im being paranoid or not. I have been having some VERY slight joint pain in my knees and sometimes ankle that came and went in a matter of minutes the first 24 hours or so after the dive. It would only hurt for a few minutes then go away. But I could attribute this to normal soreness from swimming with fins as I have had this type of very mild pain before when just free diving. Right now i also have a very slight headache.(but I get headaches kind of frequently normally) The only reason I think it could be very mild dcs is my dive profile was sort of close to NDL and I couldnt perform an effective safety stop. If both of the dives were 90 minutes wih a 15 min surface interval it would but me in pressure group X on the PADI RDP. My depth was a constant 30 ft. (told from other divers that went) ( I know not likely deep enough for dcs). But I got kind of chilled down there (water temp around 81 F,) and I may have been a bit dehydrated. A reason I think it is not DCS is, I made 2 ascents mid dive to see where the boat was ( was about 2 ft vis) and stayed up for about a minute on each. anyway, pressure group X calls for a safety stop at 15 ft for 3 mins. Heres the kicker, I went with a charter and they provided my equipment. There was no depth gauge on the console... so I attempted the safety stop but with no timer and 2 ft vis with no depth gauge, I assume it wasnt performed properly. Any opinions? Could DCS be this mild? and happen at this shallow of a depth? am I being overly paranoid? currently the only symptom I am feeling is the mild headache.

Get yourself a bottom timer. And probably get some more training.

Hi, it's been apx. 36 hours since I surfaced from a dive. I had 2 dives to 30 ft. I am not sure of the time because I didnt have a timer or computer. they were likely a little over hour each but could have possibly been 90 mins each, I just went until the tanks went from 3000 to 500 psi. I am a huge hypochondriac but I have been noticing some very mild symptoms since about 2 hours after my dive... i dont know if im being paranoid or not. I have been having some VERY slight joint pain in my knees and sometimes ankle that came and went in a matter of minutes the first 24 hours or so after the dive. It would only hurt for a few minutes then go away. But I could attribute this to normal soreness from swimming with fins as I have had this type of very mild pain before when just free diving. Right now i also have a very slight headache.(but I get headaches kind of frequently normally) The only reason I think it could be very mild dcs is my dive profile was sort of close to NDL and I couldnt perform an effective safety stop. If both of the dives were 90 minutes wih a 15 min surface interval it would but me in pressure group X on the PADI RDP. My depth was a constant 30 ft. (told from other divers that went) ( I know not likely deep enough for dcs). But I got kind of chilled down there (water temp around 81 F,) and I may have been a bit dehydrated. A reason I think it is not DCS is, I made 2 ascents mid dive to see where the boat was ( was about 2 ft vis) and stayed up for about a minute on each. anyway, pressure group X calls for a safety stop at 15 ft for 3 mins. Heres the kicker, I went with a charter and they provided my equipment. There was no depth gauge on the console... so I attempted the safety stop but with no timer and 2 ft vis with no depth gauge, I assume it wasnt performed properly. Any opinions? Could DCS be this mild? and happen at this shallow of a depth? am I being overly paranoid? currently the only symptom I am feeling is the mild headache.

great responses obviously im not experienced, dont have to be insulting it was my first dive after being certified... i hired a charter i have no equipment I assumed everything needed would be provided. not an idiot, just a hypochondriac, thanks for the reassurance. and how would more training or experience help me it was a simple dive besides the low vis which didnt bother me what so ever.

Last edited:
during initial few dives, mild headache and joint pains here and there is normal, sleep it off, you should be fine, however most alarming is, to me it appears the dive wasn't well planned, what about depth gauge, computer, safety stop etc, "plan your dive & dive your plan' that is the mantra,

Happy and Safe diving hereafter :)

great responses obviously im not experienced, dont have to be insulting it was my first dive after being certified... i hired a charter i have no equipment I assumed everything needed would be provided. not an idiot, just a hypochondriac, thanks for the reassurance. and how would more training or experience help me it was a simple dive besides the low vis which didnt bother me what so ever.

I'm not trying to be insulting I am just being as frank as I can. There are several things terribly wrong with the way you planned (or didn't) your dive. if you think it is OK to dive with no idea of your actual depth or bottom time and I made the assumtion you weren't stupid which is why I went with training.

It is unlikely to get DCS at 30 feet because the pressure is not high enough to load enough nitrogen no matter how long you stay. Unlikely just means the chances are something like 1:1000, not zero. Also symptoms that come and go are uncommon. That said being conservative is in order and do call DAN.

Also not to beat a dead horse but monitoring depth, time, pressure and no decompression limits is something you must be equipped to do. A simple dive computer like an Aladin 2G would be a lot less worry.

Finally 90 minutes dives and 15 minute surface intervals? Slow down a bit, it will all still be there for the next dive even if you wait an whole hour.

I'm not trying to be insulting I am just being as frank as I can. There are several things terribly wrong with the way you planned (or didn't) your dive. if you think it is OK to dive with no idea of your actual depth or bottom time and I made the assumtion you weren't stupid which is why I went with training.
I know the depth was no greater than 30 ft because I was diving with 5 other people that all had depth gauges plus it was previously know that the bottom was 30 ft. I asked the dive master if I would need a timer and he said I would not because I would most likely run out of air before the 90 mins was up. that being said I now realize the errors I made, and I will get a computer before I dive again.

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:07 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:07 PM ----------

during initial few dives, mild headache and joint pains here and there is normal, sleep it off, you should be fine, however most alarming is, to me it appears the dive wasn't well planned, what about depth gauge, computer, safety stop etc, "plan your dive & dive your plan' that is the mantra,

Happy and Safe diving hereafter :)
noted.

You don't actually have to dive a computer, altho I dive two - still, you can do dives like those from charts easily. You do have to have a timer. I dive my everyday watch, purchased at Walmart for $20 or so, good to depths far greater than I will ever do - and the battery is good for years.

Honestly, I don't do SSs from 30 ft dives, but surfacing and descending multiple times is rough on your body. I remember that some Key Largo operators suggested that when I was new, so newbie divers wouldn't get lost - but it's best not to. More training to include a navigation course.

If you have to rent gear, be sure you have a working depth gauge and compass, and know how to work them. My home bud didn't use his compass for so long that he totally forgot, but dive compasses are different.

I think that is exactly why they recommended I come up to check where the boat was bc they knew I was a newbie. Honestly I understood enough about navigation during the OW course that I could stay reasonably close to the boat without surfacing, I was right near the boat both times I surfaced. I guess as others said, more experience....

Back
Top Bottom