Low-Dose Aspirin Therapy and DCS Risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently, my Doc recommended that I begin taking one low-dose aspirin a day. Keep in mind that I have no symptoms that are described on the DAN question sheet as being incompatible with diving unless cleared by a physician. No high BP, cholesterol, etc. However, after reading all the latest studies regarding the benefits of aspirin (lower risk for certain cancers, heart disease, etc.) We both decided that "it couldn't hurt" to take one a day.

Since aspirin is a blood thinner, I was wondering if there have been any studies regarding bubble formation in people taking aspirin and if it might have any effect on DCS risk.

Happy Diving!

As you can read, aspirin has no positive effects regarding reducing DCS risk.

Hi guys...thanks for your responses...sorry if I'm being somewhat obtuse here, but not being a medical professional I am not sure what the article you pointed me to was saying. I understand there is no benefit to taking aspirin re DCS, but I don't understand from what you are telling me if it might make things worse.

My doc explained to me that, since I am taking aspirin in much the same way someone who is not vitamin deficient takes vitamins, it would be fine to simply stop taking them if I go on a dive trip or have planned surgery.

Confused....

Hi Jeffrey,

This is what you asked,
Since aspirin is a blood thinner, I was wondering if there have been any studies regarding bubble formation in people taking aspirin and if it might have any effect on DCS risk.
, and I believe that my post #37 in this earlier thread --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/div...-diving-4.html answers that.

If what you actually are interested in is
My doc explained to me that, since I am taking aspirin in much the same way someone who is not vitamin deficient takes vitamins, it would be fine to simply stop taking them if I go on a dive trip or have planned surgery.
, or phrased otherwise, "Am at increased risk of bleeding because I am taking aspirin?", then the answer is:

What might prove to be undetectable or minor bleeding from routine barosqueeze to the ears, sinuses & lungs in the normal diver could result in bleeding with accumulation and tissue damage in the diver on medications that "thin the blood." The same holds true for such not uncommon events as falls on the boat, strikes to the body by tanks and dive ladders, and the like. Sharp objects, such as those that can be found on some wrecks, pose a risk as well.

While the increased in risk from a daily regimen of low-dose aspirin likely is very small, if you feel more comfortable skipping doses (with your treating doctor’s permission) during dive trips, there seems no compelling reason not to discontinue beginning three days before a dive outing and continuing for its duration.

Less confusing?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Last edited:
Simply put, does taking low-dose aspirin increase your chances of taking a DCS hit? I am already aware of the bleeding risks associated with aspirin therapy.

Thanks
Jeff

Since aspirin is a blood thinner, I was wondering if there have been any studies regarding bubble formation in people taking aspirin and if it might have any effect on DCS risk?

I was unable to determine that the original question actually was asking,
...does taking low-dose aspirin increase your chances of taking a DCS hit?

Now that we've sorted that out, the answer is: What Vlad The Impailer said.

Regards,

DocVikingo

What Vlad The Impailer said.
But it's always nice to hear it from a credible source. :D

Back
Top Bottom