Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remora

Reaction score
Just wanted to get the boards opinion on acclimatizing to narcosis.
This topic is bantered about quite frequently and I have my own opinion.
It was interesting to read in the DAN article referred to by Scuba Doc that "we can acclimatize ourselves to the affects of narcosis to some extent by regular exposure to depth"
I know I have taken this statement out of context but am interested in any discussion this might generate.

John

Acclimitization is probably an accurate term - that is, put up with the effects of narcosis, as opposed to experience somehow lessening the effects, which objective experimentation has pretty well shown just doesn't happen.
Rick

As far as nitrogen narcosis is concerned, I am not aware of the mitigation of the effect with time (for example, when in a saturation diving condition). I believe that one can note an apparent lessening of the narcotic effect if one is dealing with a very repetitive, learned task. When a novel situation presents itself, however, the individuals will find themselves compromised.

Repeated exposure over a period may allow one to adjust for the narcosis, since it will become less novel, but I do not believe that the effect lessens appreciably. I would guess that there is some moderation, since one does show some degree of accommodation to all drugs over a period.

Yes, agreed with both Rick and Dr Deco.
Through experience one would come to expect certain effects at certain depths and deal with it accordingly (provided all factors remain relativley equal).

John

I KNOW that after awhile you become attuned to the onset of narcosis. I know I feel it coming on. I develope a HOT sensation on my face and and an intense focus on the task at hand. One thing that DOES distort for me is SOUND! Everything becomes vividly LOUD when I am narced to some degree. I have never been "gooned" though.
I have heard for years that you do not develope a reisitance, (or even a tolerance), to narcosis. You merely get accustomed to the effects and learn to survive with it's effects upon you. Recently I am hearing that the old school may have some clout, (agreeing somewhat with the Doc's post). Folks DO develope a tolerance to alcohol, drugs, motion sickness and even altitude sickness. Why not narcosis to some degree? Wondering myself....
Norm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom