SAUL decompression model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone evaluated the SAUL decompression model? There were 2 articles regarding the model in the most recent Diver, 37:6, that brought it to my attention. The seminal article describing the model, J Appl Physiology 103:484-93, 2007, and several other publications and articles are available on a related website Modern Decompression I find the model intriguing and an innovative departure from traditional thinking.

I look forward to comments.

Good diving,

Craig

Last edited:
Hello Readers:

This will take a while for a reply.

Hello Dr Deco,

Thanks very much for your message, I would expect nothing else than a thougtful reply.

Appreciatively,

Craig

Hello scubadada :

SAUL Decompression Model

I must apologizefor my very slow response to this question. My area of specialization is the cause of decompression sickness and notmathematical models. It therefore tookme a while to read and [try to] understand what was involved. Even in the development of the PADI tables, Iwas in charge of the test program and not the development of the model perse. The bigger delay has been that Ihave been ill – enough to be in the hospital. It is nothing particularly life threatening but certainly more than an uncomfortableannoyance.

The material Iwas able to read spoke only about gas exchange and little aboutmicronuclei. There is no question the authorknows about these, but they were not particularly included in the initial papers. The SAUL model is thus primarily about gas exchange. [Dr. Goldman states that adding microbubbles to themodels produces minor improvements while going to the interconnected modelmakes a very large improvement.]

Haldane’s Model

The modeldeveloped a century ago by J. S. Haldane saw the body as a large collection oftissues perfused by the blood at differing rates. These tissues, today referred to as“compartments,” were seen by Haldane as being in parallel with respect to theblood. This meant that blood came fromthe heart and was divided by the arteries, passed through the tissue compartments,and finally entered into veins to return to the heart. There was no passage ofnitrogen from one tissue to another; the local blood supply to that specifictissue was the only way in and out. Thisis referred to as “independent parallel compartments.” That is, thecompartments were completely isolated from one another.

The tissueshad differing amounts of blood flow [perfusion] and this accounted for the rateof dissolved nitrogen rise and fall and thus the “halftime.” As Haldane saw it, all compartments played arole in decompression sickness. If theinert partial pressure rose too high in one compartment, bubbles would form andDCS result.

Saul “Interconnected Model”

It has been long considered [more than 50 years] thatdissolved nitrogen could diffuse from one tissue into another. This is true notonly for gases in diving but also drugs administered for medical purposes.

Thus, nerve tissue lying next to fatty[adipose] tissue could be supplied with nitrogen by diffusion from fat tonerve. This concept is not entirely new,but no one has made a decompression model [algorithm] utilizing the concept. Anolder version of the concept was termed the “competitive parallel arrangement” firstpresented in 1944.

Dr Saul Goldman’smodel has one compartment that is considered important for DCS and is termedthe “central risk-bearing compartment.” Itis associated with other peripheral compartments that do not provoke DCS butcan load the central [“risk-bearing”] compartment by diffusion with dissolvednitrogen.

What thepaper demonstrates is that it is possible to take known decompression data anduse this data to test various models. Commonly,data is broken into at least two sets. Oneset is used to develop the parameters [calibration regime] of the different modelsand other data to test the models and see how they perform with respect toaccurately predicting DCS incidence.

Some modelstested had compartments in parallel [Haldane model] and other models hadcompartments fed by nitrogen diffusing from, e.g., adipose tissue, into the centralcompartment.

In this Saul“interconnected model” model, only one compartment [termed the centralcompartment] will contribute to DCS. [This might be DCS-prone connective and associated nerve tissue.] Nitrogen is absorbed by all tissues of thebody, and some of these might be reservoirs for considerable amounts ofnitrogen. Fatty tissue is a good exampleof a “feeder” tissue. The result is thatthe “interconnected model” had the best fit to predicting DCS.

As far as I cantell, this is a demonstration that the concept is a valid one. It does not appear that he would develop tablesat the current time. He does demonstratethe effect of different “stop times” with the various models. We will watch how all of this plays out.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Michael,

Thanks very much for taking the time for such a thoughtful reply to my query. I asked Dr Goldman about tables on his blog and his answer was "No Decompression times, or NDLs, in the old sense don’t exist anymore, because their values will depend on the diver’s inputted maximum tolerated risk. For that reason, I don’t have tables I can give you for comparison." I would wager we will all hear more about the Saul decompression model in the years to come. Interested readers can learn more on Modern Decompression

Best, Craig

My ears are perked. A very interesting, holistic approach...almost like the difference between soccer and (American) football.

All the best, James

I agree with fdog - just reading about this model today, but after going through his site (Thanks for the plug scubadada) I am eager to read more and see how it picks up traction. Thank you Dr. Deco for the great explanation!

A serial decompression model based on Kidd and Stubbs' research in the early 1960s and developed by DCIEM has been in use by the Canadian Navy since 1971. I am curious what is so innovative about this?

A serial decompression model based on Kidd and Stubbs' research in the early 1960s and developed by DCIEM has been in use by the Canadian Navy since 1971. I am curious what is so innovative about this?

Hi wedivebc,

You should post your question on the Modern Decompression blog. He thoughtfully answered my questions promptly. I found his comments regarding nitrox, safety stops, and deep stops particularly interesting.

Good diving, Craig

Hi wedivebc,

You should post your question on the Modern Decompression blog. He thoughtfully answered my questions promptly. I found his comments regarding nitrox, safety stops, and deep stops particularly interesting.

Good diving, Craig

Will do thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom