Interview request from Slate: The Diving Bell Effect and Oxygen Diffusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello ScubaBoard,

My name is Rachel Nuwer. I'm a New York-based freelance science journalist. I was hoping to find an expert here who could help me with a story I'm working on for Slate. I'm looking for someone who can briefly explain the basics of how diving bells work and also tell me about Henry's Law, specifically how CO2 and oxygen are dissolved and diffused in ocean water. This will be for a short explainer story on Slate.com about underwater air pockets, based on a recent news story describing how a man survived for nearly three days trapped under water (Nigerian sailor 'a phenomenon' for surviving in air pocket for 60 hours | World news | guardian.co.uk).

There was a lively discussion on this topic here: diffusion - Surviving under water in air bubble - Physics Stack Exchange

Please reach out to rachelnuwer at gmail dot com if you might be able to help me answer this question!

Thank you
Rachel

I talked with Rachel and gave her the basics of decompression theory and why a long decompression process was required in this case. It would be helpful if someone with experience in saturation diving (of which I have none) would contact her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom