Reasoning for no-dive times after DCS hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzymusicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering what goes on in the body after a DCS hit is resolved in the chamber that puts forth the recommendation that you abstain from diving for 6 weeks? After all the bubbles are cleared and all the symptoms resolved, what is the elapsed time trying to account for?

I'm under the understanding that it has to do with allowing the internal trauma caused by DCS to heal. I'm sure it doesn't take 6 weeks, but better safe than sorry I guess.

.. typically 4-6 weeks to recover from the TT6 hyperbaric exposure.

We discussed this with hyperbaric docs when I was in Navy sat training. Assuming the nature of the hit and subsequent treatment resulted in actual tissue damage, allowing the tissue to fully heal makes it less likely to (for lack of a better word) tear under stress again. Any differential gas pressure across tissue causes stress. The concern was that any new "tears" might produce more scar tissue rather than be clinically significant themselves. The concern over excessive scar tissue is it will increase the probability of getting hit again in the same location, usually a joint.

I am sure this is a very conservative approach. The Navy has no operational reason to rush a single diver back under pressure sooner than is prudent. Contrary to some popular beliefs, hurting sailors under your command is not a good career move. Trained divers are expensive and far from expendable.

to allow trauma, irritation, and inflammation to subside and repair it self..

Joint pain DCS - the "bends" - will usually heal without threatment although it can be very uncomfortable for a while. HBO is always best. Neurological DCS requires pressurized oxygen and time for the nerves to heal themselves. This requires time, the same as recovery from a stroke. It is not something that should be rushed.

So what are the options when you have a crazy military dive doc on a power trip that tells your commander you are never allowed to dive again? (The power trip is so bad, her husband got himself involved and is not in my unit and he's not a physician.) She stated from the start that she will use the same criteria as her Navy working divers, but we're talking recreational diving. Her reason was also taking into consideration a possible PFO which the cardiologist doesn't see.

So what are the options when you have a crazy military dive doc on a power trip that tells your commander you are never allowed to dive again? (The power trip is so bad, her husband got himself involved and is not in my unit and he's not a physician.) She stated from the start that she will use the same criteria as her Navy working divers, but we're talking recreational diving. Her reason was also taking into consideration a possible PFO which the cardiologist doesn't see.

That's a loaded question. If you post details of the incident(s), any dives leading up to it/them, and the physician's recommendations, maybe one of us can help you make sense of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom