Chamber Ride in The Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To start here is the email my wife sent to family and friends explaining our extended stay:

"Explanation of why I had to take a chamber ride in the Florida Keys during a wonderful week of diving: I was experiencing a fantastic Thursday morning dive on the USS Spiegel Grove with Steve and 18 other divers on the boat. Light current, 60-80’ vis, diving an AL100 with a 32% mix. Total dive time 40 minutes, max depth 96’. The USS Spiegel Grove is awe inspiring and we can’t wait to do it again.

After the dive at depth was over, we made a nice slow ascent and a leisurely safety stop goofing off with each other. The drop line was crowded with divers from 65’ all the way to 15’, so the ascent was very slow. No problems at all from splash in to this point.

As soon as I broke the surface I felt like I could not draw a breath through my regulator, even though I still had 1000 psi left. I inflated my BC, left my mask on, took my reg out to swap over to my secondary – and still couldn't draw a full breath at all, even with no second stage in my mouth. I immediately cut line and got on the boat, with Steve right behind me. I still couldn't draw a full breath, but after about 5 minutes I was fine. I assured Steve, the Captain and the DM that I was fine, breathing was back to normal and I was 100% sure I was okay to do the second drop on the Benwood, even though Steve tried to get me to sit it out.

After a 33 minute SI we splashed in again. Vis was 20-30’, max depth 31’, moderate current. About 40 minutes into the dive I started having difficulty breathing again – I was breathing, it just felt like I wasn't getting enough air. Steve noticed me in mild distress (we were at 21’ at this point and heading back to the boat) and immediately thumbed the dive and got me to the surface. We surfaced about 75-100 yards from the boat and again I inflated my BC fully, left my mask on, took my reg out, but still felt like I couldn't catch my breath. At this point, of course, I started to get a little panicked. Told Steve to just get me back to the boat.

Steve immediately went into “rescue mode”. Rescue swam me back to the tagline, talking to me, trying to calm me down, and swimming his @$$ off. He had signaled the boat diver in distress, but that we were okay and coming in under our own power. To me the boat felt miles away, but Steve had me to the tag line in under a minute and I was back on board. I've never seen him climb a ladder so fast before.

Once back on board, I started to catch my breath, but even after the ride back to the dock I still couldn't draw a full, deep breath - maybe 85-90%. Steve made us stay around the dive shop for about 30 minutes. He explained this as the shop had 02 if I needed it so he wanted to stay there for a while. I started to feel much better, and was starving, but still felt winded and tired. Mild headache, but barely noticeable. We left and had lunch at Mrs. Mac’s, and headed back down to Marathon. From the time I got out of the water on the second drop, until we got back to Marathon was about 3.5 hours. We stopped at the dive shop in Marathon to talk to our friends there, and from walking around and talking breathing became difficult again within just a few minutes. Immediately back to the hotel room behind the dive shop and called DAN. 10 minutes later we were on our way to Mariners hospital in Tavernier, about 40 miles away – there was a closer hospital, but no chamber there.

I’ll skip over all of the emergency room procedures, but the staff at Mariners Hospital is at the top of their game when it comes to distressed divers. Within 15 minutes I had been seen by 3 doctors, the hyperbaric supervisor and been x-rayed, poked and prodded and tested beyond comprehension. The scary part was when everyone started running – literally. When you see the staff working on you running flat out, you get nervous.

Steve appeared calm, but says he was really freaking out at this point. He gave all the doctors the profiles, a synopsis of our dives this week, and any other info they asked for, and then some. Diagnosis was suspected DCI, although the general consensus “off the record” was excessive CO2 buildup, but “When in doubt, treat”, so I did a standard Table 6 ride.

The day after the ride, I was exhausted. Hydrating, napping, and taking it easy. Went to dinner with friends last night and I feel 100% this morning, although still slightly tired. Of course we had to extend our vacation some due to the no flying within 72 hours of a ride, and no diving for 6 weeks. Bummer, but even though it appears I didn't get bent, better safe than sorry."

Her profile:
spiegel profile.jpg

The rest of the story:
All gear was our own except tanks and weights and had been serviced within the last 6 months. No O2 was offered on the boat after either dive. She is in above average health, normal weight (I'm NOT going there), 42 years old, 5'4".

We flew back March 24th. Since then she has had a complete cardiac workup, a pulmonology workup, venous scan, CT scan with contrast, blood tests for everything, etc. etc. All came back normal. The first PFT the pulmonologist noted a "subclinical airflow obstruction", but at her last visit he said it was "very minor" and she is in perfect health. She has been cleared by both the cardiologist and the pulmonologist to return to diving.

The initial thought from the pulmonologist was Irritant Induced Asthma. After all tests were completed, he says that her symptoms fit more into "Sigh Syndrome". Basically he said she breathes really shallow, and every so often sighs or yawns to clear out excess CO2. Even though she is getting enough oxygen, her body is telling her she is out of breath. On a deep dive, she didn't breath deep enough to clear all of the "dead space" and it appears she took a CO2 hit. At this point, this is the diagnosis and Sigh Syndrome is supposed to go away by itself shortly. Looking at the videos, and listening to the sound on the raw footage, she was breathing very short and shallow with a cycle of about 1.5 seconds in/1.5 seconds out. Every 10-15 seconds she would "overbreathe" the reg and just suck down a second or so of max airflow. Her reg "sounded" very stiff as well, and when informally tested, was found to be "breathing stiff". Before I could stop him, they adjusted it. Upon the return home I had it formally tested, and it now breaks at 1.1 open/1.6 closed.

Since we returned home, she has had two episodes. The first, she woke up and said she just felt out of breath - "air hungry". The second was after an hour long workout at the gym. After her initial cardio routine and weights, she got back on the treadmill at a 7.2 mph pace. When she started feeling out of breath (more than she normally would) she focused on long deep breaths, and the feeling passed.

We have some pool sessions scheduled (17' max depth) just to get her back in the water before we head back out to OW. She is not nervous or scared about getting back in the water, but we want to make sure it's done right. We learned a lot from this incident and have changed a few things around on the way we dive. Mainly, if either of us have an issue on a dive, we lose decision making authority and the other makes all decisions for the other. ASK for O2 if it is not offered. We've also discussed what to do if this ever happens again, a month or 10 years from now, especially at depth. I'm also finally getting around to finishing my rescue course next month.

I wanted to post this here to see if any of the doctors/experts had anything else to add...

BTW - if anyone is interested - here is a long video of the dive in question - @ 20 minutes or so. She was doing all video and I had still camera. If anyone sees anything that I missed after watching the raw footage 100 times, please let me know!

Diving the USS Spiegel Grove - 03.20.14 - YouTube

---------- Post added April 16th, 2014 at 03:42 PM ----------

To avoid any further PM's for those that have watched some of the video, yes I am an amputee and yes it is a custom built dive leg I am using :crazyeye:

Hey,

Hardly an expert in hyperbaric medicine, but I have taken a chamber ride myself, so I found this interesting...

I really don't see what would suggest DCI in this story, maybe one of the experts can chime in about the advisability of the recompression. I guess there aren't a lot of things that might be made worse by a chamber ride, so there is probably a pretty low threshold. Sounds more like a primary pulmonary condition - interesting write up! No real neurological symptoms, huh?

Pulmonary barotrauma, pulmonary embolism or immersion pulmonary edema come to mind, but I guess they would have picked those up in the clinic on chest X-ray or just listening to your lungs. Aspiration would be pretty unlikely without a history suggestive of near drowning. Pulmonary DCS (the "chokes") is pretty rare, and usually in the setting of a very ill patient with bubbles in the pulmonary circulation. Maybe they thought that this was a limited form of that...

Good to learn something new (the "sigh" syndrome). Glad that you are doing better....!

My first thought was IPE, too. It's pretty unusual for DCS symptoms to come on underwater, except in big technical dives with extended decompression. And as Dr. Mike says, shortness of breath is a symptom of the "chokes", or pulmonary DCS, which requires overloading the pulmonary filter with nitrogen bubbles, so you don't generally see it except in very severe cases (like the Rouses, doing an emergency ascent from technical depths and omitting a large amount of deco). But I would have thought that low O2 sats and an abnormal chest x-ray would have diagnosed that -- in addition, I've never heard of IPE resolving and then recurring while OUT of the water.

Strange story.

Even the chamber supervisor was surprised they made her take a ride - but he did say they have a policy of "When in doubt, treat.". IPE, "the chokes", etc. - a chamber ride is good for all of them is how it was explained. They did not do arterial blood gases - doctor ordered it, then canceled it. Wish they would have done it as it might have given us more insight into what happened.

It's confusing to us as well. She was perfectly fine the entire dive from splash in to the surface. We had researched the dive, and had a plan for whatever mooring ball we dropped in on. Since we dropped on #6, we looked at the gun mounts and the goliath grouper on the rear deck port to starboard, then went back to the cranes starboard side - which were amazing. Under, over and around both cranes, and back up to the rear deck on port side. Spent some time cruising around the upper part of the superstructure waiting for a spot to open on the line.

Ship is way to big to see all of it on one dive, so planning to dive only a section of it made for a dive that was nice and relaxed. Plenty of time, and plenty of gas - no stress at all. Nothing like the Lulu last July - 120', pitch black past 60' and a moderate/heavy current. This dive was a piece of cake by comparison, and we'd been looking forward to it since we scheduled vacation. She said she felt fine from splash in, through the dive and all the way up - problem started literally when her head broke the surface on the first drop.

When we passed the ball and got to the granny line, I turned and gave/received the OK sign, and started hauling myself back to the tag line to get in the queue for boarding. When I got to the back, I saw pink fins and a tutu heading up the ladder. My first thought was, uh, that was rude. Second thought was, she'd never do that. Third thought - oh, crap, what's wrong? Cut line and got on the boat.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 11:50 AM ----------

TSandM - no problems at all at depth, or on ascent. By my book anyway, her profile (posted above) is great and not even close to NDL's (I think the closest we got to deco was 13 minutes). We planned our dive and dived our plan. We knew where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to see. If you've never been on the Spiegel, this thing is HUGE and we loved every second of it.

Ascent was long, but the line was extremely crowded, so we took our time on the way back up. Not on the video was us goofing off at 50, 40, 30' - all the way back up basically. Her hanging on the line, me holding her hand and just drifting with the light current to stay out of the way of the cluster of divers, especially at 15-25', taking pictures, going inverted, hanging out looking at the surface and 20 divers worth of bubbles (cool), smiling to the point your masks leaks, lots of "having a blast" hand wriggles". We were goofing off, playing and thoroughly enjoying ourselves after a phenomenal dive. I popped the top with about 800psi, she had 1,000 psi left.

I was in the lead, crossed the ball, got on the granny line, looked back to make sure she made the transition OK, gave/received an OK sign, and started hand over handing back the length of the boat. At that point, I didn't look back until I was on the tag line. When I got there, she was heading up the ladder.

She said as soon as she broke the surface, it immediately felt like she had just run a Marathon and just couldn't catch her breath. We're still trying to figure it out, but like most diving incidents, I think we'll never know 100% what happened. Other than not having a massive headache, everything she describes sounds like a CO2 hit. If I would have requested oxygen on the boat right then and there... might not have been in the emergency room later, and I have to live with that, and the fact I let her talk me into the second dive.

Mainly, if either of us have an issue on a dive, we lose decision making authority and the other makes all decisions for the other.

Brilliant -- I'm stealing this. Thanks for posting so we can all learn.

"Sigh Syndrome". Basically he said she breathes really shallow, and every so often sighs or yawns to clear out excess CO2.
I think I have noticed myself doing that, rarely - but seems familiar.

CO2 buildup in diving is more likely to happen at depth with increased gas density, and she did not report any problems at depth at all. Her distress began on the surface, so I think it's unlikely that this was a CO2 hit. Her computer didn't alarm or go into deco mode, correct? I may have missed it in your post, but has anything like this ever happened to her before?

It's not outside the realm of possibility that she had a mild case of pulmonary DCS but there's no way to say for sure. Residual inflammation from mild chokes could explain the feeling of difficulty breathing later on that day.

I would caution you both, and anyone reading this, that if you ever experience difficulty breathing or any other suspicious symptoms after a dive, the last thing you want to do is make another dive. Instead seek medical help immediately.

Best regards,
DDM

DDM - no, no ascent alarms, no deco (Suunto Zoop, conservative, and never got within @ 13 minutes of deco), max depth 96'. As to the second dive, well, for anyone who's married... well, you know. She said she was fine. I tried to talk her into sitting out the Benwood (max depth 31'), and she convinced me, the DM and the boat captain she was fine.

Hence the new rule - if anyone has a problem at all of any kind on a dive, they lose decision making ability and the other person makes all decisions. If we would have had that rule in place, she would not have been on a second dive. But she did 100% seem perfectly fine. Even so, I wish I would have made her sit out the second dive.

A funny part of the story I left out. Hydrating between dives, she was drinking a Gatorade. Blue. When I was talking to her, looking at her color, asking neurological questions, etc. I noticed her tongue was blue - really freaked me out for about a millisecond until I realized what it was...

This might be an example of "anxiety." Something of this nature occurred to me a couple of months ago. I was suffering from "air hunger" and thought I had a real problem. A trip to the hospital and several tests revealed that I was fine. It had not occured before in my 72 years.
If I had been diving, they would have probably though I had a pulmonary embolism from too many bubbles. Supplemental oxygen would have helped - probably. In the reported case, a trial HBO treatment was made, since it is the general rule post dive with problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom