Additional research on long term cognitive function impact from recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DownDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I came across this 2013 paper describing potential negative effects on cognitive functioning through barometric variance and tissue saturation of gasses from recreational diving and am interested if there is other research confirming or contradicting these findings. I would also be interested in general reactions from readers. Thanks!

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...itive_function/links/02e7e52009bd3baca7000000

I'm surprised they haven't tried to correlate the degree of impairment to short-term memory function, with how long someone has been an active diver. That would be a much more direct way to demonstrate that the latter affects the former (although granted, one could still argue it's the other way round). I'm also a bit perplexed by the average depth stats: > 30msw 343.49 ± 344.31. What also seems a bit inconsistent is the fact that, where they find divers to perform better, they attribute that to a natural predisposition, but where divers score lower, it's being speculated that this is due to harmful effects of diving itself. It would be interesting to see a similar tests performed, e.g., on the population of bowling, hiking, and kayaking enthusiasts, I would not be surprised to find a significant test score discrepancy there as well...

Haha Oszillodrom, I had to read that twice - proof?!

---------- Post added October 26th, 2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

I agree kr2y5 there are some stronger ways to draw correlations, though harder to control group; speaking of which, I did like their boxer approach. Interesting hypothesis re: other activities you named. Not that I disagree, but I'm interested in why your instincts suggest potential correlation?

Anyone know if DAN has ever looked at?

I agree kr2y5 there are some stronger ways to draw correlations, though harder to control group; speaking of which, I did like their boxer approach. Interesting hypothesis re: other activities you named. Not that I disagree, but I'm interested in why your instincts suggest potential correlation?

I don't know... it could be that folks who naturally have above-average attention span are more likely to be sucked into a book, whereas folks who have a shorter attention span are more likely to go out, or engage in outdoors activities? They have selected a peculiar set of people who, at 200+ dives, are pretty serious about scuba diving, that alone must (statistically) say something about a person...

I must be doomed after 52+ years of SCUBA diving

I have about 360 dives in 7 years of diving. At almost 69 years old I can see a definite negative correlation with diving. My back is not as strong as when I started, My knees ache sometimes climbing stairs, I have a weakened right leg due to a missing disc, and I am ready to call it after 4 dives in one day.

Must be the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom