Hyperbaric Nursing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife was curious about Hyperbaric Nursing. She has been an OB/GYN nurse for about 6 years and was considering a change. Can you tell me more?
E-mail directly at Dive_Sherpa@cavediver.net

Thanks Doc

Dear Divesherpa:

I will tell you what I know, and this reflects some time I spent in this field while in Seattle. Most cases involve wound healing but some are for carbon monoxide poisoning or DCS.

One needs to be able to assist patients in a multiplace chamber and thus must not be claustrophobic.

One must be able to handle tasks independently as you are probably the only medically trained individual inside.

One must not be adverse to breathing on a mask should the need arise (as the tender in long DCS treatments, for example).

One should be able to consol and comfort some patients who are nervous their first time.

One must not have any problems clearing ears and cranial sinuses.

I am sure that some others will come in but this is to start the process.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Divesherpa

She'd better not being used to whistle while she's working because that's not possible within a Hyperbaric Chamber :wink:
'Thick' air pevents production of noise using your mouth in the usual way.

We went into a chamber a few years ago for a 'dry-dive'. One of us could not stand it for some reason... He wasn't realy claustrofobic. Perhaps the heating of the air, associated with compression of the air in the chamber made him feel bad. So he pressed the emergency button and was taken out via a separate unit.

I heard a story of treatment of bent people in a deco chamber with appliance of pure oxygen up to toxic levels. Medical personel is present to take of the oxygen when the patient starts break-dancing :loopy: due to oxygen toxicity (probabely pulmonary oxigen toxicity). Is practice this true? Does anybody (=Dr Deco) know?

Bye
Jorgen

Dear Scuba Jorgen:

It is true that some people do get oxygen toxicity. The type where you have convulsions is central nervous system (CNS) toxicty. :crazyeyes:

While yu do not actually do break dancing, you do display convulsive fits. In this case, the oxygen mask must be removed. The pressure needs to be reduced, but the procedure need not be discontinued.

Dr Deco

Back
Top Bottom