Alcohol after the dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sessions

Contributor
Reaction score
At the risk of getting several mean responses......What is the true skinny on cocktails AFTER 2-3 dives and possible DCS??

You mean during S.I. before the 4th dive? :eyebrow:

Seriously, since this isn't a medical thread I would hazard a guess and say that provided you avoid strenuous exercise (tribonucleation) there isn't any harm in drinking AFTER the dive.
So just avoid 1 liter flagons of ale (excessive arm effort) and stick to spirits or cocktails through a straw. :eyebrow:

sessions:
At the risk of getting several mean responses......What is the true skinny on cocktails AFTER 2-3 dives and possible DCS??

Wellllllll... I can actually speak from experience on this one, having been in just this situation once (and ONLY ONCE). After a really stupid morning (two deep dives, reverse profile, went into deco on second dive and did not finish stop, computer went into violation mode and had to have the battery yanked out), I proceeded to do a third dive that afternoon. As I said, stupid. Stupider still was my decision to go out drinking that night. I was lucky; I didn't get bent. I did get surface-narked, though, which was exceptionally weird. Halfway into my first beer I had a serious buzz going on, which I attributed (rightly or wrongly) to the amplifying effect of all the nitrogen I still had going in the ol' bloodstream.

Anyway. Profiles like the one above = bad. Not getting possible DCS symptoms checked out = bad. Drinking with possible DCS = probably not such a good idea, really. I don't think the alcohol directly would worsen symptoms, but it will dehydrate you, and that will make any preexisting symptoms worse.

The two primary issues with alcohol are dehydration and impairment.

Impairment is obviously not a problem post-dive, so long as you are not driving the boat.

Dehydration could be a problem.

I drink post-dive... in fact, I have a beer in my hand before I'm out of my drysuit after the last dive.
I DON'T get snot-face ripped.... just two or three beers, with plenty of clear water as well, and plenty of sleep (8-10 hours) before the next dive.

RichLockyer:
The two primary issues with alcohol are dehydration and impairment.

Impairment is obviously not a problem post-dive, so long as you are not driving the boat.

Dehydration could be a problem.

I drink post-dive... in fact, I have a beer in my hand before I'm out of my drysuit after the last dive.
I DON'T get snot-face ripped.... just two or three beers, with plenty of clear water as well, and plenty of sleep (8-10 hours) before the next dive.

This is pretty goes for me as well!

Juls

Gasp! People talking about not having a beer after a day of diving. It's enough to drive a man to drink.

damsel:
Halfway into my first beer I had a serious buzz going on, which I attributed (rightly or wrongly) to the amplifying effect of all the nitrogen I still had going in the ol' bloodstream.

LOL, That BUZZ was Darwin ringing your doorbell damsel, I am glad you were narked enough not to answer it dude. :wink:

thanks for sharing a story many would have kept quiet about, and welcome to the board. I love the occupation line in your profile.

RichLockyer:
I drink post-dive... in fact, I have a beer in my hand before I'm out of my drysuit after the last dive..

The post dive sunset beer is kinda like the after intimacy cigarette. We know we shouldnt, but it soooooo good. :eyebrow:

Besides the dehydration factor, alcohol does mess with your distribution of blood a bit. As I understand it, the reason drinking alcohol makes you feel warmer in winter has to do with dilation of surface blood vessels. Don't know if and how this could affect offgassing, but it might...

cancun mark:
thanks for sharing a story many would have kept quiet about, and welcome to the board.

I can understand wanting to keep quiet about being a moron, yeah, but I figure that hey, mistakes are how we all learn. Better to tell an embarassing story and let others learn from it than to keep quiet and let someone else make the same mistake - maybe with a worse outcome. Although I admit a person would have to be pretty daft to follow that sort of profile... ^_^

(for the record, I did know better, but I was new to diving at the time, and I was out with a group of much more experienced people, and didn't feel comfortable questioning the dives we were making. Another important lesson - always trust your own common sense, and if you don't feel right about something, call the dive!)

Thanks for the welcome!

jagfish:
has to do with dilation of surface blood vessels. Don't know if and how this could affect offgassing, but it might...
Constriction of surface vessels... your body's natural reaction to getting cold, as it retains (or increases) internal temperature. This is why it can be dangerous to drink while using a hot tub... the water increases your body heat, and the alcohol inhibits the ability of the body to shed the excess heat through exposed surfaces (head, ears, etc...). Boom... hyperthermia.

As far as it's impact on offgassing, it would reduce the ability of the blood to carry n2 away from the outer skin and fat layers, but again, no differently than if you were chilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom