Why does my head hurt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

four_engines

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello...

Not being fully acquainted with my Suunto dive com, I violated a decompression stop. And to really mess things up, I dived again after a few hours of surface interval.

Now, one side of my head hurts only when I do any of these actions: Sneeze, cough, stand up after sitting or lying down, and bend down. I suppose it's the rush of blood to and from the head to the lower parts of the body that causes the pain.

However, all the sypmtoms of DCI are not present. No numbness, no tingling sensation, no problem with muscular movements. Everything else is normal.

This happened 3 days ago. I must say that the pain is getting lesser now, but still present during the actions I mentioned above.

Can this be DCI still? If not, what's happening?

Thanks for any inputs.

F/E

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on television, but I can tell you that if you have to ask the question "Do I have DCS?" you should be calling Divers Alert Network (919 684-8111) and asking them.

(You should also have DAN insurance, although I think they'll talk to you without it).

Terry

four_engines:
Hello...

Not being fully acquainted with my Suunto dive com, I violated a decompression stop. And to really mess things up, I dived again after a few hours of surface interval.

Now, one side of my head hurts only when I do any of these actions: Sneeze, cough, stand up after sitting or lying down, and bend down. I suppose it's the rush of blood to and from the head to the lower parts of the body that causes the pain.

However, all the sypmtoms of DCI are not present. No numbness, no tingling sensation, no problem with muscular movements. Everything else is normal.

This happened 3 days ago. I must say that the pain is getting lesser now, but still present during the actions I mentioned above.

Thanks for any inputs.

F/E

four_engines:
Hello...

Thanks for any inputs.

F/E
I'm not a doc, but I hope one comes along soon to help you out. You say you violated a deco stop so I assume you went into deco? Ceiling indicators were present and you continued to ascend? Did you just miss a safety stop or are you sure it was a mandatory deco stop? Also, if you have DAN insurance I would call them right away for advice. You may need to download your Suunto's dive profiles to aid in treatment should it be required. Good luck to you, hope all goes ok!

Yep, should have called DAN collect 3 days ago. Do it ASAP.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

And hope you will learn now to run your computer. Run the simulations until you know the dives.

four_engines:

Lets see,...

You went diving trusting your computer to tell you your dive plan;

But you were unfamiliar with your computer;

So when you went into decompression you may have misread it;

And therefore missed an indicated decompression stop;

And then went diving again later.

Then you endured pains in your head for 3 days.

Now you're asking an internet board whats happening?

Do I have that right?

Yes, your first call should be to DAN. Use the number provided in an earlier post above. In order to answer more factually, they might want to know how many minutes of decompression the stop was that you missed, among other details you left out above.

Your second call should be to a Scuba Instructor.

If my understanding of the sequence of events you describe is accurate, you would benefit from a detailed review of dive planning, tables, decompression, and how your computer works before you do your next dive. Some people have done precisely what you describe above, and wound up in wheelchairs.

what did you use to monitor your second dive because if you violate a suunto deco stop it will only act as a depth guage for 48 hours

or do you mean you missed a safety stop ?

4Egnines, we all hoped you're okay, but not bothering to complete your Profile & Dive Info makes it difficult for us to help. You've posted 10 times on SB, no Intro, so we don't even know where you are. If you are not in the US, then go to the nearby Emergency room capable of diagnosing and treating dive injuries. If there is not one near, go to any ER and hope for the best.

After than, and after you sign up for additional training and a computer class, come back here - complete your membership info, please, and meet us on New To Scuba forum.

Good luck! :wavey:

To say you do not have DCI because you have only one sympton is not correct. DCI is not the pressence of several symptoms, it could be the presence of just one of the symptoms. Call DAN now and let the eqperts advise you.

four_engines:

Are you sure this wasn't becasue you slept over in Male Airport the night before? :wink:

Seriously though, as everyone above has said, seek medical attention immediately. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially since you did ignore your computer...twice.

Marc

Thanks everyone. I called DAN and spoke to the registrar. According to him, with the symptoms exhibited, it sounds like a case of barotrauma of the middle ear, which would resolve itself over time (phew)... It's not a case of DCI.

And yes, I've learnt that it pays to obey my dive com now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom