Decompression and the aquarius marine lab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barbara

Reaction score
I saw this on TV.

When divers spend more than ....is it 24 hours in the lab? do they then have to spend time in a decompression chamber? How do these divers usually decompress?

If they are out diving around the lab, if they had an out of air emergancy they would be unable to surface. What type of extra precautions do these divers have to consider? What are the safty measures?

What type of safty gear do they have in the lab if there is a breach in pressure?

Just curious.

After the Tissue absorbs the maximum amount of nitrogen/ inert gas the divers is at "Saturation". At that point the diver cannot absorb any more and the decompression is the same at that point as it would be for another Week or Month at pressure. That is called Saturation Diving. B----------

cmay:
everything is explained here

http://www.uncw.edu/aquarius/

This is a great site! I wonder how those girl scouts got the opportunity to dive down and spend some time in the lab. I guess they only stayed for as long as the no decompression limits would allow, which I guess at 60 feet would be for about what? an hour maybe? It would still be a lot of fun to do. I sure would love to be able to visit the lab. Does anyone know if this is possible? The site did not supply info on this. Also, Jules Lodge in Key Largo allows people to stay over night, but this is in a shallow area and I guess that the decompression limits would not be exceeded overnight in this case. Is that correct?

I once dove in the Blue Grotto in Williston FL. and went down to fresh air bell, removed my regulator and just watched the other divers for about 10 minutes. It was neat! I wonder how they prevent the CO2 build up in that bell. At Aquarius, the aquanauts have access to several of these fresh air bells which serve as air fill stations and for emergancy breathing needs. That is so cool! You can refill your air tanks without going back into the habitat!

I think I'd love to be an aquanaut!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom