Bubbles Still Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CNTdiver

Reaction score
I got a buddy who said that he got bent in the South Pacific. It took a bit of time to get to a recompression chamber, but he did after about 10 hours. Then two years past. He went into a pool to do a skills check and said he was feeling symptoms of DCS. My question lies in whether he truely could have gotten it based on his prior incident. Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

I should mention that two years past where he did NOT dive at all. Thanks

CNTdiver:
I got a buddy who said that he got bent in the South Pacific. It took a bit of time to get to a recompression chamber, but he did after about 10 hours. Then two years past. He went into a pool to do a skills check and said he was feeling symptoms of DCS. My question lies in whether he truely could have gotten it based on his prior incident. Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

Symptoms of DCS in a pool? Unless the pool was really, really deep, I'd look elsewhere. Psychosomatic?

Hello CNT diver:

It is doubtful, very doubtful, that your friend as had DCS while in a swimming pool. It is too shallow. If your friend did experience problems, I would guess that it is something related to the event rather than a gas loading question. One might consider strains and sprains from lugging equipment, some particular activity in the water, or some maneuver while exiting the water.

Possibly some action is repeated and, this is resulting in a joint problem.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr. Deco,

Can you explain what cell nuclei is and how this could relate to this incident. Thanks.

When you dive (not snorkel in a pool!!!) nitrogen dissolves in the blood stream. When you come out, if you're doing it too fast because nitrogen is eliminated from your body micro bubbles (or nuclei) are formed. That leads to the formation of larger bubbles in the blood, which can cause the bends, or decompression sickness.
For this to happen in a pool I would say your friend either tried to test you or he dove some place deeper than a regular pool.

Robert

Hello mobstability:

I am not sure what “cell nuclei” are. I suspect that you are referring to micronuclei in tissues.

These are tiny bubbles - much small than a red blood cell. They form in liquids that are in moving. The kinetic energy of the fluid is used to create the tiny micro nuclei; these are stable in your body for a period of a few hours. This process is referred to as hydrodynamic cavitation.

The nuclei form in many sizes, when they have been measured in water. If the fluid [water] in your body is similar to water in the rest of the world, one would find that there are many small nuclei and very few larger ones. The progression goes in a smooth fashion.

What happens when you decompress is that the dissolved inert gas will diffuse into these nuclei. Since small bubbles will be compressed by the surface tension, the greater Supersaturation is needed to enlarge small nuclei than larger one. It so happens that small surface tensions can enlarge only the largest of nuclei and there are very few of these. Thus the minimum depth for DCS is established by the size-number distribution of these nuclei.

Clearly, if you had no nuclei at all, you would be able to surface directly from very deep dives. If you has as many nuclei as are present in air (e.g., to make fog), you could sustain virtually no oversaturation whatsoever.

One does not have nuclei large enough (of in sufficient quantity) to cause DCS when surfacing in a 30 foot deep swimming pool.

Dr Deco :doctor:

DCI sequellae symptoms that could be triggered by presumingly shallow swimming pool dive? Hmmm. Not very likely but it is possible. How about inner ear? Inner ear damage after DCI can be compensated by visual stimuli over-participation in the complex ballance system which can be disturbed while underwater and that could induce vertigo in a swimming pool. In the same fashion a deep sensitivity damage from previous DCI hit can cause inner ear over-dependance in the "space orientation system" which could be compromised in weightless environment of a shallow dive and again, the vertigo could occur eventually. Pressure stress to ears could also trigger the vertigo in a diver with previously damaged inner ear. I can't think of any other possibilities...hmmmm. So don't keep us in mistery. Was it vertigo or something else? Something else would most likely be non DCI related.

I say the bends are possible. I knew of a diver who got DCS symptoms when it was not normally possible. He finally had a very detailed physical and was found to have an unusual heart/circulation problem. He was advised to quit diving.

That's all I remember. If there is any interest, I may be able to contact people from the past to get a more complete story. This situation was rare.

Robert Ward:
I say the bends are possible. I knew of a diver who got DCS symptoms when it was not normally possible. He finally had a very detailed physical and was found to have an unusual heart/circulation problem. He was advised to quit diving.

That's all I remember. If there is any interest, I may be able to contact people from the past to get a more complete story. This situation was rare.

If you don't mind explaining, what, precisely, was his "unusual heart/circulation" problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom