Diving and Flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How long should I wait to fly after diving? I am going to Cozumel next week and want to dive on a Wednesday and fly back Thursday morning. I live at sea level also, if that's a factor!

Thanks for any info. you can give me! :)

got4boyz,
Your question can't be answered without some more information. What was your dive profile like, how many dives over how many days... all this matters. It could be 12-24 hours. A computer is great in getting you the info you need accurately.

I don't know how it works in Coz, never been, but most of the places I been, that is one of the first questions they ask you, "When is your flight out?". Personally, I usually go on the side of caution and allow at least 24hrs even after only a couple of dives. I usually do that by taking the last flight out for the day and not diving after that time the day before.

DAN's latest research says 12 hours after a single dive, 17 or more hours after multiple dives - and they're still gathering data.
I save my touring and shopping for the 24 hours preceding my flight home.
Rick

When on a 'dive trip', we always allow at least 24 hours before flying. I try to book the last returning flights, and don't dive past that time the day before. We also make the last dive or two shallow ones. Those last 24 hours is when we do any shopping or beach sitting.

Why push it? There's so much that is not known about DCS. I'd rather return to dive again than take the chance!

I appreciate all of your comments. This will definitely help me "safely" plan my trip. Thanks again for all your help!

Dear got4boyz:

Twenty-four hours since the last dive will always put you in a safe position. If one were performing some technical dive to several hundred feet, a longer wait might be in order.

This is assuming you did not have a “niggle” (very mild “bend”) following the last dive. Treated DCS has been know to reappear on airplanes even three days later. :bolt:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Originally posted by Dr Deco
This is assuming you did not have a “niggle” (very mild “bend”) following the last dive. [/B]

That's a new one, a "niggle". What are the symptoms of a "niggle"? I definitely plan on a 24 hour lapse between my last dive and my flight.

Thanks again for all your helpful input! :)

Dear got4boyz:

[sp]A ‘niggle’ is a term that was introduced in the 1970’s into decompression research in the United States by researchers from Great Britain. This term refers to those very mild, just perceptible aches and pains that are there one minute and gone the next. :confused: You are not really sure if you have something. If there for a while, they are often registered as DCS (“a hit”) by scientists.

[sp]Frank DCS is a definite pain in or around a joint. It is somewhat intense and certain, and it usually becomes more intense with time. :fire: It remits with the application of pressure in a chamber.

[sp]We might propose that it is the appearance of symptoms such as “niggles” that accounts for the fact that more DCS is noted in laboratory trials than by divers in the field. A diver on a boat would more likely than not gloss over something like this, or, as likely, say, “this is nothing, really.”

Dr Deco

Here is some recent information provided by Dr. Richard Vann at DAN concerning their on-going studies about flying and returning to altitude after diving:

"After a 60 min dive to 40 fsw with dry resting divers, we were DCS-free in 23 exposures at 8000 ft simulated altitude with a 9 hr preflight surface interval. We had 5 DCS incidents in 41 exposures with an 8 hr surface interval."

DAN promulgates and recommends the following:
The final upshot of the debate is a DAN revised guideline which states:

a. A minimum surface interval of 12 hours is required before ascent in a commercial aircraft (8000 foot (2438 m.) cabin).

b. Wait an extended surface interval beyond twelve hours after daily, multiple dives for several days or dives that require decompression stops

c. The greater the diving the longer the duration recommended before diving.

The above is for sports diving and should not apply to commercial diving or nitrox diving. Because of the complex nature of DCS and because decompression schedules are based on unverifiable assumptions, there can never be a fixed flying after diving rule that can guarantee prevention of bends completely.

UHMS recommendations are located in a table at http://www.scuba-doc.com/flyngaft.htm

Back
Top Bottom