Cobalt 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So DRIS has their last remaining Cobalt on sale because "making way for the Cobalt 2." What's the story?

I was just fixing to post and ask the same question. I hadn't heard anything about a 2 yet.

Announced at DEMA. Better compass and faster processor.

Still console? Still rec-focused and limited re: ability to remove alarms and reconfigure while diving? What's the use of a faster processor when the computer, as configured, is rarely going to be venturing outside of recreational diving? It's neat the Cobalt could and did run full RGBM once you got it past 150', but not too many divers who go that deep and deeper have much use for a Cobalt as presently configured.

I'd sell one of my Petrels if they came out with a non-AI wrist mount that had a tech mode. But it doesn't look like they're going that route.

I watched the guy demo the new version and it was quite a bit faster than the first generation. Better compass like you said. Accurate within 2 degrees I think it was.

Makes my life easier - won't think of buying a new computer if they haven't even gotten away from the console only thing despite a lot of clamoring for a wrist-mounted Cobalt. Overall, pretty underwhelming.

Makes my life easier - won't think of buying a new computer if they haven't even gotten away from the console only thing despite a lot of clamoring for a wrist-mounted Cobalt. Overall, pretty underwhelming.

Yea, I don't think it deserves the name "Cobalt 2" seems more like a minor revision, but maybe it'll have more stuff added before it comes out. I own two cobalts (one for me and the wife) and while we really like them I've been kinda looking at the Oceanic OCi here lately and considering picking one of those up.

Yea, I don't think it deserves the name "Cobalt 2" seems more like a minor revision, but maybe it'll have more stuff added before it comes out. I own two cobalts (one for me and the wife) and while we really like them I've been kinda looking at the Oceanic OCi here lately and considering picking one of those up.

Having owned a couple of Cobalts myself, I think the closest thing to a wrist-mounted Cobalt is the SW Petrel. If you have to have AI for some reason, maybe a Mares Icon HD would be somewhat Cobalt-like.

Not sure what could be "faster" about it other than the compass damping being let off some (which I would think could be fixed via firmware, but I could be wrong). Does it run deco calculations below 150' much more quickly or something?

I guess I just expected more from Atomic after all this time of having Cobalts in the wild. :idk:

According to the rep, the wireless version is on the way but wouldn't give a timeframe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom