Atomic Cobalt dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andycfowler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused:I purchased from Leisurepro USA a new Atomic Cobalt computer in January this year ready for my dive holiday in March. I read the instructions, set it up and generally got familiar with how it all works.

Today (17th March) I tried to power it up and make sure everything was ok before heading off to use it for the very first time and I find that it is completely dead.

I plugged the USB lead in and tried to check again but no power, I then plugged it into the mains charger and left it for 6 hours and still its dead.

Other posts on the board talk about the same problem and that plugging it into the USB lead first is where I went wrong, I notice that RONR has mentioned taking out the battery and refitting it then charging by using the mains powered charger.

My question is will I void the warranty by removing the battery cover and removing, refitting the battery, the computer is less than 3 months old and has never been in the water yet??

Please RONR can you advise as it is difficult for me to return it to a dealer as I live in Dubai UAE and there is no dealer in this country.

Many Thanks

Had the same issue and RONR said it will not void the Warranty when he sent me the instructions on how to do it.

Ron has already been in touch and confirmed that it will not void the warranty, I followed his instructions and it is now working again.

Thanks both for your information and help to resolve this quickly.
:D

Ron has already been in touch and confirmed that it will not void the warranty, I followed his instructions and it is now working again.

Thanks both for your information and help to resolve this quickly.
:D

Having the same issue with the Cobalt 2 shortly after 2.14 update. Can RonR or anyone send me the instructions to reset battery?

Having the same issue with the Cobalt 2 shortly after 2.14 update. Can RonR or anyone send me the instructions to reset battery?

Just for the integrity of the thread, this problem was dealt with exactly as gverbist suggested. No battery reset necessary.

And for other Cobalt 2 owners, you do need to be aware that if you do the reset function (BACK and SELECT buttons pressed for at least 11 seconds) while connected to USB, your Cobalt thinks you are going to update the firmware and goes into boot mode, with a black screen and no button response. At that point unplugging the USB won't start it up.

The solution is to do the reset again, after you have unplugged from the USB cable. :wink:

Ron

I am having the same problem, black screen on a new cobalt. Battery went dead and I plugged it into the usb (I know now) . Tried the wall charger and nothing. Tried holding the left and right buttons down for 20 seconds, still nothing. How do I remove the battery for a reset or what else do I do?

I am having the same problem, black screen on a new cobalt. Battery went dead and I plugged it into the usb (I know now) . Tried the wall charger and nothing. Tried holding the left and right buttons down for 20 seconds, still nothing. How do I remove the battery for a reset or what else do I do?

Is this a Cobalt 2 or a Cobalt 1? Holding the Back and Select buttons down for 11 seconds or more only works with the Cobalt 2.

Was it reasonable that the battery would have died- that is, are you sure that was the problem? A well charged battery should be good for months of standby power.

If you plug into USB it thinks that you will be updating firmware, and while the battery will charge, it won't reboot. Plugging into the wall charger at that point won't reboot it either, since the battery still has some power and it's running- though you don't have a display or buttons, since it's in a boot mode.

If it's a Cobalt 2 the Back and Select buttons should work to create a reset, so long as it is not plugged into USB at the time and there is still battery power. It can be hard to keep the buttons pressed, so you might need to try again? If that doesn't work contact me and we will do some more diagnosis.

If it is a Cobalt 1, then you have two choices:
1) Let the battery run down totally, then plug it into the wall charger- if the Cobalt was plugged in long enough while blank to fully charge this could take a few days, but in boot mode it's gobbling quite a bit of power, so it should not take much more than that.
2) Remove the battery to remove power and reset it by reinstalling the battery. I'l PM you with instructions for that. If you need to get going right away that's the only option for a Cobalt 1.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom