Original Atomic Titanium Regulator and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andycfowler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, A question for Atomic.

I bought an Atomic first generation Titanium Regulator 8 years ago which has served me very well. My question is can this regulator be used for Nitrox gas???? I have had it serviced recently so I know that any residual oil will have been cleaned out.

Please advise if I can use it or will need to buy a replacement.

Many Thanks

AA guideline is that one should use it for either air or nitrox but not both. Now many people do so without issue. When they brought out the T2x they used monel parts in places they felt would be the most susceptible should there ever be a fire. Those included the piston, swivel retainer, HP seat retainer, and the yoke assembly. One can send in a T1 and have it upgraded to be a T2x for $300+ (not sure of the current cost).

Now on the practical side when I replaced the old original piston in my T1x I replaced it with the monel piston, sealed the reg, and called it good. I currently use it with air and nitrox. I have done that with several and feel that it is a reasonable compromise.

Of course the easy answer is to email atomic.

IMHO, the risk of a fire from a contaminant igniting inside the regulator and using the higher percentage of oxygen to destroy the regulator and perhaps injure or kill at depth is a gigantic stretch for me.

Oxygen clean is most important in the tank and valve. When filling a scuba tank using the partial pressure method, 100% oxygen is used to start the fill and then the tank is topped up with air. The valve and tank should be free from contaminant to prevent the rich oxygen mixture from creating a dangerous situation. O-rings are upgraded to minimize damaging the seals. When I rebuilt my valve for my nitrox tank, I was cautious not to touch parts with bare hands to prevent oil contaminants from being introduced. Other fill methods, banking, nitrox stick and membrane, do not require the extensive cleaning.

The regulator flow rate and pressure coming into the second stage is minuscule compared to filling the tank. Therefore the risk is acceptable for me.

I would use it.:fire:

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom