Servicing a 2002 vintage T1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krypto

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a T1 I bought in the US in 2002. Now living in Australia and having trouble getting parts to service and local dive shop with experience. My local dive shop has been in touch with the Australian distributor but they do not carry parts for the T1 any more and don't know if the T2 part kit is compatible. Dive shop will charge me shipping both ways if the kit proves to be no good.
I have tried contacting Atomic on the US web site with questions relating to this and all I got was referral back to Australian distributor who does not know about the t2 parts compatibility. Replied back to Atomic but it has been more than a week so assume my reply was ignored.
So trying here.... can anyone fill me in on my options for servicing a T1 these days? Are the purge covers from other models interchangeable (mine has perished)?

I went with the T1 thinking it would last me for ever, but now 10 years later finding it very difficult to get a simple service in this part of the world.

Hi Krypto

Sorry for any delay in responding. Our repair/service kits are all the same whether it is an old T1 or a brand new Z3. The one issue you may run into is that the piston inside the first stage may be our old style. If this is the case, you will need to upgrade to our new Monel piston and jet seat. These parts are included in a kit called the Jet Seat Upgrade Monel. Again, this is a universal kit and all parts will fit our first stages. Our distributor in Australia should have these kits at the ready and should be able to facilitate servicing your regulator.

In regards to the front cover. We no longer manufacture the T1 front cover. We usually switch the consumers with T1 covers over to our Ti2 front cover. This cover will fit the cover ring you have on the second stage.

Thanks again Krypto!

Ryan Kenney
Atomic Aquatics/Huish Outdoors

Welcome to the board. Krypto I have upgraded several T1s from that era. Ryan has sent you down the right path as one of the beauties of the Atomic line is that all of the regs are the same just different materials. When I upgrade the T1s I do the following:

First stage:

1. Get a standard Atomic first stage service kit.

2. Get a monel piston (01-0022-MO ) not the full upgrade kit Ryan mentions because it comes with a HP seat that is in the service kit - no need to pay for a second one).

3. Get the rubber cap (01-0039-00) that covers the hp seat retainer. (This replaces the current doughnut cap).

4. Get the environmental seal (01-0004-00) - (This replaces the current trim piece) I seal my Ti regs and use them for both air/nitrox interchangeably. Atomic swaps out several other parts to achieve what they feel is reasonable for using both air/nitrox.

Second stage:

5. Get a standard Atomic second stage service kit.

6. Get a new exhust (02-0422-00) - a bit wider than the old ones and deflects bubbles better.

7. Get a new mouth piece (02-0094-00)

8. Get a new cover ring 02-0427-00) - black but if you want bling there is one in silver.

9. Get a new front (purge) cover (02-0423-T2)

10. Optional - Adjustment knob (02-0082-00 GRAY) - these get pretty chewed up from being drug on ship decks. If you want bling there is one in silver.

11. Optional - Retaining Ring (02-0089-00) aka castle - the old ones are flat and these are a bit easier to remove. Which IMHO second stages should be partially disassembled when soaking to remove all sand and other crap.

At that point you will have basically upgraded your reg in to a T2. About the only thing not included is a new hose. The swivel hoses are nice but $$$$ for the Ti version. We put stainless on ours. Not mentioned but implied is a complete disassembly ultrasonic cleaning.

Thanks for those fast replies all (and going to all that detail Scared Silly). This is extremely helpful and makes me feel much better about all that money I dropped on the titanium reg many years ago :D.
I'll forward this info to my dive shop today and get the needed parts ordered.

I meant to add double check on the part numbers. Some may have changed. I was going off an older schematic that I had handy.

Back
Top Bottom