Trip Report- Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrClean

Reaction score
I am posting this trip report a little belatedly as I just joined the forum. My wife and I honeymooned in Bali last Oct. The flight was hellish, 22 hours. EVA does have an Evergreen class which is somewhere between coach and business for only a few dollars more than coach. The seats were very spacious and this is especially important to me as I am 6'4".

Upon arriving in Bali (Denpasar) we had a friend of a friend pick us up and take us straight to Ubud, a mountain town in central Bali. We stayed at the wonderful Alam Indah on the outskirts of the Monkey Forrest, about a 30 minute walk from central Ubud. The hotel was wonderful with an amazing staff who looked after us quite well. We would recommend the Rambutan Villa, a beautiful 2 story thatched roof cottage with amazing carved wood doors. A palace for about $100 US a night.

After a few nights there, we headed of to the remote NW corner of the island to a town called Pemuteran for the diving portion of the trip. We stayed at a resort called Taman Sari. Not quite as nice but still wonderful and palacial for the price especially compared to US accomodations.

While in Pemuteran we completed our OW certification with Chris Brown and Reef Seen Aquatics. http://www.reefseen.com. We cannot recommend Reef Seen enough. Chris was the first dive shop to open in NW Bali and in the process has helped to educate the locals about the value of a healthy reef. Through this education, dynamite and cyanide fishing have been eradicated here. Chris also runs a turtle hatchery project, paying locals to bring him the eggs instead of eating them. He then hatches them and releases them. Chris and the town have also started an artificial reef system just off the beach to help bring life back to areas destroyed by bad fishing practices and coral bleaching.

While there we dove the reefs around Pemuteran, Close Encounters, Napolean Reef, and Kebun Chris. Very enjoyable although vis wasn't quite as good as we expected about 45 to 60 feet for the entire trip. Saw many scorpion fish here. Later in the week we dove off of Menjangan Island, drift and wall dives. Very beautiful. Eel gardens, Pos 2, Coral Gardens, and Temple Slopes were some of our dives here. There were only 3 divers and the DM on any of our dives and we recieved great personal attention. Gede, our DM was wonderful at spotting and pointing out all the hidden wonders that our novice eyes would have passed up. Great operation.

While we had a wonderful time in Bali and will definately return there some day, here is a word of warning to eco-tourists. There is a LOT of pollution on Bali, both air pollution in the form of exhaust and from the burning of trash, mainly plastic bottles of water from tourists, and just trash along the sides of the roads. Now I know it is a third world country and I expect that to an extent, but after reading all the glowing guidebook reports we were shocked. Especially with the burning trash. We rise early every morning and that is when it seemed to be the worse. So when you go, please reuse your plastic bottles. Every hotel has purified water that you can refill your bottle from.

We have used Scubaboard several times to plan our trips befor becoming a member. I hope this report helps someone plan ttheir own trip.

Hey! I stayed at Taman Sari also in 2000. We were in the Butterfly Suite. What an incredible place. The diving in Menjangan Island was about the best we saw in Bali. Lombongan Island in the south was the very best, however.

May I ask, is there a lot of operators in Denpasar/Kuta who will do a day-trip dive to Menjangan? Meaning they'll include the equipment rental, transport, and maybe packed lunch.

Anyone can help?

When we were doing our research on Bali, I believe we noticed a few that made a day trip up there, leaving at maybe 3 am, once or twice a week. Can't remember exactly where we found this info. Continue looking on this site, and maybe try PADI's website.

Driving around Bali is one thing I would not recommend. If you want to dive somewhere just go and stay there for a while. Accomodation is so cheap.

How does diving in Bali compare to diving in other parts of the world esp. the Caribbean?

Hmmmm, I don't think the diving rates with PNG or other areas of Indonesia at all. However, the topside touristing is the best. It has a rich and exotic culture second to none. PNG is mundane by comparison, the few areas where tourists go, that is. I would go back to Bali in a heartbeat and dive as a "off" activity. For a pure diving trip, I would go elsewhere (PNG!!)

On our honeymoon in August 2003, we spent one week enjoying the topside attractions and beauty of Bali and one week on a liveaboard that went out to Komodo. A fantastic combination! The diving in the Komodo area was wonderful -- great viz, beautiful corals, and much sealife. Swarms of reef fish, lionfish, scorpionfish, clown triggerfish, blue ribbon eels, reef sharks, etc. And we got to see the amazing Komodo dragons as well!

(As a comparison, we dove the GBR/Coral Sea a few months ago and did not like it nearly as much as the Komodo area -- great sealife, but so-so viz and much rougher sea conditions).

It is often said that the diving just off of Bali is not necesarily that spectacular, but I highly recommend a week on this fantastic and friendly island combined with a week on a liveaboard. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom