Port Douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roatanjan

Reaction score
We will going to Port Douglas in Oct. 2006 for a month.There are sooo many dive/snorkle tours it's overwelming,i'm am looking for some advise on who to choose.Don't want to be on a large/crowded cattle boat-or tie up at a really busy site.Any suggestions?
Thanks

You might try Quicksilver Dive. It's office is (or at least, was) located in a shopping center by the marina. We used its liveaboard (Diversity) several years ago, and were quite pleased, but I don't know if the good service etc. carries over to any available day trips. You also might see what sort of day trips are available out of Cairns. Most people probably will tell you that the better dive sites (Osprey Reef, Cod Hole, Ribbon Reefs, etc) are available only on the liveaboards.

Valwood1:
You might try Quicksilver Dive. It's office is (or at least, was) located in a shopping center by the marina. We used its liveaboard (Diversity) several years ago, and were quite pleased, but I don't know if the good service etc. carries over to any available day trips. You also might see what sort of day trips are available out of Cairns. Most people probably will tell you that the better dive sites (Osprey Reef, Cod Hole, Ribbon Reefs, etc) are available only on the liveaboards.

We also took Diversity out to Osprey & GBR. We booked on-line with Pro-Dive and they had connections to Quicksilver's Diversity. This was not a day trip. Port Douglas is an interesting place to stay. I think we stayed at the Tree tops in PD. The hotel was surrounded by a bit of a rainforest. One fun thing to do in PD is to go to "Habitat" where you can walk through bird aviary and walk amonst kangaroo and wallabies. We also took a boat ride down a river and were able to see crocs and snakes in the vegetaion and trees, also archerer fish that spit water at insects and knock them off branches of the growth next to pools and streams so they then eat the insects. We did have the mozzies bothering us on our jungle walks, you might consider malaria meds and bug spray.

There is no malaria risk in Australia although they do have dengue so it is best to avoid getting bitten.

Haba www.habadive.com.au are a good operator if you just want a day trip out to the reef. Quicksilver's day boats tend to be very large and carry lots of people.

As far as the liveaboards go - I rate Taka as one of the best and they can get you out to the Cod Hole and Coral Sea http://www.taka.com.au

Back
Top Bottom