Maui - Who to Dive With?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happydiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to Maui in January for 10 days. I have been looking into dive operators on the web and have also been checking my old Rodale magazines for any Maui diving articles.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has dove with 'SCUBA SHACK' or 'MAUI DIVING' and if so, could you give me your opinion of them? What were your likes and dislikes and would you dive with them again.

Any other comments on who to dive with would be very much appreciated!

Thanks and oh, also, thanks for all of the great replies to my "Where to stay / dive on Cozumel"!! You've helped me narrow down my choices!

Happydiver

I dove with Ed Robinson's Dive Adventures. http://www.maui.net/~robinson/erd1.htm I found them *very* professional, knowledgeable and well priced. We dove an oasis reef (80') with tons of life and then the Molokini back wall and saw Manta Ray, grey shark and tons of fish. I highly reccomend them!

happydiver,

I looked up "Maui" at ScubaDirectory.com and got 79 matches... Have you checked a few of them out? Some of the links are clubs and whatnot and they would be a good resource for who are the local trusted diving companies there...

just a thought ...

=-)

Hey Happy Diver,

I haven't been diving with either 'SCUBA SHACK' or 'MAUI DIVING', but if you get up to Kapalua, there is some interesting diving with Kapalua Divers. http://www.kapaluadive.com/ I did both the scooter dive and the night dive and both were excellent. The guide, Paul was very knowledgable and we had a great time. I did some snorkeling at Molokini and I would have to say that on the weekend, even the backside gets really crowded. Best to go during the week.

Good Luck,

Bubblehead Moe

I highly recommend Ed Robinson's -

maybe the best dive guides I've ever had

they also rent a nice little bungalow

I dove with Ed robinson's this past summer and they do a very good job! You should make sure you're clear on whether you're booking a lower or higher DM to divers ratio dive as they charge differently for a lower ratio. Definitely go to Lanai and dive there as well as Molokini crater. The Maui dive operators go to Lanai once or twice week so make sure to work that timing into your schedule. I had also heard and seen on this board that Mike Severn's was a good operation but have no personal experience with them. Have fun!!! (by the way make sure to do a lot of snorkeling and hiking on Maui while there -- ther'e a 400 ft. waterfall that is about a 1-2 hour hike through rainforests and bamboo woods that starts near Hana and is well worth the walk.) we also found the guidebook "Maui revealed" to be accurate and helpful.

and its a great group. They have this fast boat, fastest one they claim, and they can get you out to Molokini quick. They also run their boat early to try to get you out there before the crowd. DMs were very good and everyone was cheerful and had a great attitude... just what us tourists want when we drop $1k+ on a vacation.

I would definitely get on their website and request their free dive guide. It will give you shore dive/snorkel sites to visit, rates them, etc. Well worth the money, which is $0!

I'm heading back to Maui for 14 days in Feb. This will be my fourth trip. My first trip there I used Ed Robinson's simply out of recommendations I read on the internet. Since that trip they are the only op I call when I'm making my diving plans and reservations. The staff is extremely knowledgeable, professional, and cater to all levels of divers. I'll be going on 6 trips with them on this trip.

Since you mentioned Scuba Shack, I'm assuming you're staying in Kihei or Wailea. Ed Robinson's departs from the Kihei Marina. If you're staying in Lahaina it would be quite a drive to Kihei early in the morning as the boat departs at 7am.

I am familiar with Scuba Shack. They seem very polite and professional, but I have not dove with them.

There's lot's of great shore diving on Maui too. Maui Dreams Dive Co. is a great place for renting tanks/weights for shore diving. They are very knowledgeable of all of the shore diving spots and will be able to tell you the best spots to dive on any particular day according to conditions.

Have fun!

Seeing as how the original post shows as 9-14-2000, I'm not sure how helpful this info is for you now. But my wife and I made 3 trips there this year and all dive trips were with B+B Scuba. Couldn't ask for a better operation.

Hello, Happydiver!

You can't miss with Ed Robinson's. You might suggest Reef's End at Molokini. It's a great dive. Other good dives are The Apartments, Turtle Town (if the snorkle boats aren't there), Red Hill, and, of course, the back wall of Molokini. You might also think about going over to Lanai to dive the Cathederals or whatever is good that day - Extended Horizons in Lahaina goes daily. I think Ed Robinson goes once a week.
Have a great time. Maui is awesome!!

Eric.

Back
Top Bottom