Where to dive-- 1-day of diving when staying in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cagrace

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
I will be heading to Cairns in July for work. I will only have 1 day that I can go diving for fun.
Where should I go? What company should I go with?
Any info and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
CGM

Hello all!
I will be heading to Cairns in July for work. I will only have 1 day that I can go diving for fun.
Where should I go? What company should I go with?
Any info and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
CGM

We just got back from a week in Cairns and went out with two different dive companies - Seastar and Tusa. Both were fantastic - I can't fault either of them. Seastar was a smaller boat (max 35 passengers on board on Seastar - Tusa is around 60 or so), but when we went there were only around 6 certified divers on each trip, the rest were snorkellers. In terms of the locations, Seastar goes to Michaelmas Cay and Hastings Reef, which are both beautiful and both have quite a few different dive sites at them, whereas Tusa has moorings at half a dozen different locations, so they just go wherever the conditions are best on the day. We went at the end of the wet season and the weather was foul both days... personally, I found Tusa to be a bit more comfortable in terms of the ride out on the boat - maybe because it's a bigger and faster boat?? Both are fairly new boats, and are very comfortable - pretty sure they both used Scubapro gear (we took our own, so I'm not 100% sure on that though). Food was great on both and the staff were a lot of fun. I think if I had to pick which one I prefered, I would probably go with Tusa, but only because the boat ride was quicker (more time on the reef) and it was marginally cheaper (Seastar was $295AUD for three guided dives, Tusa had a special on when we were there - $205 for three dives with our own gear, plus $20 for the guided dives, so $225 in total), and also because they had a few different moorings to pick from. Either way though, they were both fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom