1st trip to Fiji and Australia - a few questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cawhite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My hubby and I will be traveling to Fiji (1 week) and Australia (2 weeks... most time being spent near the Great Barrier Reef). My husband is not a big-time diver... has fewer then 20 dives under his belt... but would like to do a few days of diving. I do not dive, but love to snorkel.

Questions:

(1) We are debating between the following dates in 2009:
- mid-June to 1st week in July
- 1st 3 weeks in August
Which is better for diving? I hear it's windy in August, but I've also read the diving may be slightly better? But minke whales can be seen in June? What about water temps? Hubby prefers to dive where water is fairly warm... likes the Caribbean... won't dive where we live (So. California).

(2) We are considering doing one ~4 day liveaboard or cruise (either Fiji or Australia, but not both) if we can find one that is not over-the-top expensive. Would we be better off doing this in Fiji or in Australia? How do we select a liveaboard / cruise that would be good for a diver and a non-diver? Should we consider a small ship cruise instead? Blue Lagoon Cruises in Fiji (they go to the Yasawa Islands) and Coral Princess Cruises (GBR) each have island activities as well, but I'm not sure how well they are set up for diving (they seem to have a "handful" of divers each trip).

(3) If we do a land vacation in Fiji, we're looking at dive packages at these resorts:
- Garden Island Resort, Taveuni
- Beqa Lagoon Resort, Pacific Harbour
- Wananavu Beach Resort, Rakiraki
Which do you recommend? Others? Remember, we need a place that has things to do for a non-diver.

(4) If we do a land vacation in Australia, we are considering the Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas (using points). Do you have recommendations for other places from which we could do day trips, including diving / snorkeling? I can't figure out if it's better to stay in Cairns or Port Douglas. As a side note, we will also stay a few nights in Sydney and possibly a couple of nights further north (someone recommended Coconut Beach Resort at Cape Tribulation), as well.

I will be booking our Frequent Flyer airline tickets this week (we have a June itinerary on hold now) and want to have a basic plan laid in the next few days.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Carole

Last edited:
Hi Carol,

I was in Fiji in 06 and am going back next year for my wedding/honeymoon. It's absolutely beautiful. Here's what I can tell you:

First, understand....it's Fiji. The culture is relaxed and casual. Don't expect the Waldorf Astoria and you'll be fine. Rooms were clean and food was good-don't get me wrong, but understand it's a more relaxed and may not be 5-star by American standards.

Weather: I did my trip in Nov, but a few years before was in Cains Australia in Aug and weather was fine / water was warm.

Fiji Resorts: Garden Island was the best, and we'd been planning our wedding there. However the resort was recently sold to a Japanese company, who has closed it for renovations until Spring 09. When I was there the staff was amazing-I still remember their names and they made me feel like a friend. I've heard stories that the new management is not treating the staff well, thus affecting the overall mood, etc, but I can't confirm that.

I can tell you that it was perfect for what you're looking for. Rooms were clean, great snorkelling right in front of the resort, or off a small island you can kayak to just off the resort. There's no beach at the resort, but plenty of lounge chairs, etc. Beach is on the island I mentioned. Plenty of land based fun-hikes, natural water slide and waterfalls 20 min walk away, lots of fun. Diving is first class and the staff is very professional. Nitrox available if desired.

Pacific Harb: On Viti Levu just across from Beqa island is Pacific Harbor. Aquatrek (who runs the dive outfit on Taveuni) has a set up there (Aqua-Trek). They have an office in San Francisco that can help w/all the bookings. Great staff. They're on site at a large hotel called The Pearl. It was nice, almost a little too fancy for me, and meals were over-priced. However just down the road is a great little resort called Uprising Beach Resort. Nice little bures right on the beach, etc. Diving is good. Aquatrek has a cool shark dive. Land based-hikes, kayaking, river rafting the upper navua gourge is a must (riversfiji.com on site by aquatrek).

Never been to Beqa Island, but heard good things. More secluded than Viti Levu I imagine.

Live Aboards: My personal opinion....live aboards are best suited for hard-core divers who just want to dive. The ones I've been on didn't have much in the way of snorkeling or non-diving activities. I did one out of Cains Australia (Kangaroo Explorer) that was horrible. Food was nasty, dive masters weren't very safe, and I was stuck on that boat for 2 days. Many people swear by live aboards....me, I like to get out, meet locals, explore, etc so I avoid them. If you wanted to, I would suggest more of a cruise ship

I do hope this helps. I have a lot of great memories from Fiji and would happy to share more if you have other questions...just let me know!

-Michael

BTW...I'm trying an eco-resort called Matava on my trip next year. It's very remote-on the island of Kadavu. No electricity, I've heard it described as "a step above camping", but all have said they loved it.

The site is matava.com. Just thought you might like to check it out. :)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all the great info.! Didn't know that the Garden Island Resort was sold. I liked some of the other Taveuni options too but have decided they are a bit more $ than we would like to spend.

It's funny you mention Aqua-Trek. I emailed them and they did recommend the Uprising Resort after I mentioned the Pearl South Pacific Resort didn't look like it has a Fijian feel to it. We're leaning toward the Uprising now and are also looking into the Rivers Fiji rafting trip and the ziplining. The Uprising Resort is listed on concierge.com as one of the Fiji hotel editor picks (all the other picks are listed as $$$$, pricewise, and Uprising is listed as $, so that looks good to me). The only thing I have left to figure out before booking is if everyone there will be 20-somethings.... we're a bit older than that! :) Aqua-Trek (in the Bay Area) even called on Friday to discuss resort options... they left a message so I will call them back on Monday. They did mention Matava as a recommendation for Kadavu (looking more into that) and Paradise Taveuni for the Taveuni area (but again, it's more expensive, so that one is likely out).

As for the Great Barrier Reef hubby says he doesn't want to do a liveaboard so we're planning on doing a Quicksilver day trip out of Port Douglas (Silversonic). Still working on other dive / snorkel options for other days (as well as rainforest trips, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

Carole

Great. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Garden Island: I'm with you. I've been looking into the other resorts as well; they're more expensive and farther from the reef. When I was @ GIR we were never more than 10-15 min from the dive site, and they were centrally located to all the cool land-based activities (most w/in walking distance). I'd hate to hear that management is not treating staff well (I've read some posts like that), but also read others saying the differences have been worked out, etc. I've been looking at Paradise-it's over an hour boat ride to the rainbow reef, and trips to the waterfalls/waterslides/dateline are a full day excursion.

Pearl: You're right on the money...it had zero "fijian" feel to it. It felt more like I was in beverly hills, and that's not what I go to the south pacific for!

Uprising: I've had the same concern at first (all 20-somethings), but reading trip advisor and others, I've seen enough good reviews from folks in my age-range (I'm 37). What you can do is request a bure furthest from the bar/pool area to insure some quiet time.

Matava: I've been emailing w/them. Very helpful. Web-site covers all the aspects (it's mataVa, and not mataNa....Matana is another name for Dive Kadavu on the other end of the island. A little more upscale/pricey from what I've read with more "mixed" reviews)

Good luck and enjoy. Be sure to let me know how your trip goes...would love the feedback!

Interesting read... I'm planning a dive honeymoon in summer 09 and I'm thinking Matava and one site on the main island. I had been looking at Uprising, but they are mostly booked when we are going (I don't want the dorm accommodations on my honeymoon...). I'm thinking the Bligh Waters area if anyone has any opinions.

Hi everyone,

Well, plans always do change. After more and more research we've now pretty much settled on Taveuni Island while in Fiji. We will either stay at the Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages or Maravu Plantation. One has A/C, and the other does not. Does anyone think we will need A/C in June?

M Bipartitus - You might consider Taveuni too. It's the "garden isle" of Fiji. There are waterfalls, coastal walks, a natural water slide... sounds perfect to us.

Also, hubby agreed to a liveaboard for Australia... so we've booked the Spirit of Freedom for the Great Barrier Reef.

Things are coming together!

M_Bipurtitus: You may want to call or email the uprising directly. I read a review once saying actual availability won't be reflected on their website, and that it's best to book over the phone or via email (persone was having same problem as you, but was able to book no problem by emailing).

If you do go to Matava next summer, let me know about it. We'll be going next year Nov (FYI...been emailing w/the staff. VERY helpful and quick responses)

CAWhite: For what it's worth, I've been looking into what's going on w/Garden Island. Seems like the problems I had heard about were blown out of proportion. The staff is still there and all seems well. It's still a good deal for the $$, and so close to all the dive sites and land based stuff....maybe worth it.

Good luck to you both!

Thanks for the chuckle, cawhite. The answer to the A/C question is YES! Depends on whether you're really acclimitized to California. If you are, then Fiji is going to be HOT, when the sun is shining. And humid, which is the problem. Much more ambient heat even in the shade. If you're from, say, Alabama, then you'll have no problem. I was there June 04.

Note that they don't call it the Garden Isle for nothing. Parts of the island have rainfall measured in world highest rainfall serious feet. When it's clear, the strait can be smooth as a lake. However, we got 6 days out of 9 of horizontal rain. Torrential downpour. Day after day, not just "tropic rain for an hour and sunny again" kind of thing. Whiteout type rain. Can't see the beach in front of our beachhouse kind of rain. Unfortunately, that meant it just washed out everything so you couldn't even do anything.

I state this to suggest that you not put all your eggs in one basket where possible. Luckily we went sailing in the Mamanucca Islands later, where it also rained, but we had a great experience.

We used Swiss Fiji divers who, the divemasters I would highly recommend, but whose management I would recommend AGAINST.

Also note that the smaller airlines are going to be on Fiji Time. So don't worry when they bump you off your flight for a group to a resort. They just schedule another plane. Hopefully you can go through Savusavu as the flight is lower so you see more of the island and beautiful reefs and it is one cool approach to a 1 building airport.

If you haven't been to Fiji, they are, hands down, the most friendly people in the world.

Hi Shasta Man - Now you have me worried. Yes, we are very acclimatized to California... I was born and raised here... hubby is originally from the southern US (but he's been in CA for 24 years now)... he hates to go anywhere with humidity!

I recall staying in a small ceiling fan cooled house / cottage in Hana on the island of Maui in the summer and being OK. Do you know if the heat / humidity levels in Fiji would be similar or higher?

Re: the weather and rain, I'm not sure how we can "not put all our eggs in one basket" if we're only staying in 5 nights to begin with (this is a stopover on the way to Australia)... what do you suggest??

We were planning to do a direct flight from Nadi to Taveuni as it's much quicker and less expensive. We would like a low level flight over the island, however. My husband and I are both private pilots so we love that kind of flying.

Maybe I'll get a quote from Garden Island Resort after all. They are under reconstruction now, I believe... so hopefully they are still answering email inquiries.

Thanks again.

Carole

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom