Australia or Fiji? October 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All!

I need some advice about dive trip for October 2010. My stepson is getting married near Sydney Australia, and this will be our first trip there. We want to take advantage of the time there and dive (who wouldn't?) The big question is where to go? On the one hand of course there would be flying to Cairns or Port Douglas and either find a dive operator there, or get on a liveaboard. But I've heard so many people talk about diving Fiji, and very few people who have talked about diving Australia.

Since we've just found out about the wedding recently, and have some time to research, I thought I would pose the question- which is better diving- Australia or Fiji? Or are they apples and oranges? We're advanced divers, who have spent most of our time in the Caribbean with a few trips to Hawaii in the last couple years.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
My opinion is that unles you go to somewhere like Lady Elliot Island you need to do a liveaboard to get really good diving on the Great Barrier Reef Australia. I have not dived a lot in Fiji but think you would get better shore resort based diving there.

Have a great trip wherever you go!

Alison

Last edited:
Thanks Alison. We're trying to get the best bang for our buck...we'll be spending some time in NSW for the wedding, and trying to figure out what the best plan of action would be after we're finished there. I guess the first thing to decide is whether we want to be on a liveaboard or not, and go from there. What is the weather like at that time of year, and water temps?

I suggest you have a feret about on the Aussie and PI forums on this site for something specific that interests you and then post a question. My expectation would be that in October the tems off GBR would be 20+C depending on how far North you are. Warmer further north but I have not dived in Oct so am extrapolating. There is a good report on LAdy Eliot Island here as a starting point for you.

Alison

just saw this thread

while in sydney,... 2hrs north is Nelson Bay and 2hrs south is Shellharbour - both great diving and while in sydney there are a dozen sites i can think of

my suggestion, instead of Fiji what about Vanuatu (dive the Coolidge, do you like wrecks) or what about Nuie, PNG or the Solomons. ive been to Fiji and it was ok, but im not rushing to go back - im sure you will have a wonderful time there but dont forget some of your other options

btw, we holiday'd last year at Lady Elliot Ilsand and it was GREAT. going back in Nov this year

I have not been to Australia, but from what i have been told the best diving in on a liveaboard out of Cairns. The Ribbon Reef and Cod hole have been mentioned as great dive spots. Our dive shop is exploring a trip to these locations in 2011. I have been to Fiji and absolutely loved it. I compare Fiji to the Caribbean as diving in color vs. black and white. We stayed at Beqa Lagoon Resort and had a great time. The diving was great, there was a great shark dive, and there are above water activites in the afternoon or you could dive the house reef from shore. If you click on my "photos" link to the left you can see some of my photos. In fact we have booked a return trip to Beqa Lagoon Resort in 2010. Here is a link to traveler reviews of the resort on tripadvisor.com: Beqa Lagoon Resort (Beqa Island, Fiji) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the great responses. I have been sick with the flu- sorry for not replying sooner!

Beqa was one of the places I was looking at- thanks for the links and personal recommendation, Bill.

Will look into Lady Elliot Island, Alion, thanks!

Hi Heymo,

you'll love your time in Australia both diving and non-diving. Make your trip as long as you possibly can. I spent 8 weeks there on my first trip in 2006 and almost 6 weeks there last year and I've just scratched the surface.

I haven't yet been to Fiji, but the Coral Sea and northern Ribbon Reefs are great. You'll have to do by liveaboard to get to the nicest dive sites.

Browse around the 'Australia' sub forum here for a number of comments on the Australian diving options.

:shocked2: WARNING WARNING! Once you've dived the Pacific the Caribbean will never be the same (as HH Man said)! I'm going to the Solomon Islands in Nov. for 2 weeks on a liveaboard. I might spend some time in Fiji, but definitely want to make it to NZ on this trip. Can't wait! :cool2::D

You'll have a great time whatever you decide

We went diving the great barrier reef off of Lizard Island. And I can say that was probably one of the best experiences of my life. We saw just about everything there is to see, huge vw bus size potato cods swimming around you, huge rays, nudie branchs, groupers, sharks, octopi(sic?). We also, got massages at the hotel and we didn't have to lift a finger for anything. All the other dives, I've had to carry my own gear, put on my own gear and get on the boat myself. On this trip, you unstrap your self in the water and the crew brings in your gear, it's got to be the laziest trip I've ever been on. If you get a chance you have to do it!

Oh I almost forgot! When you're on Lizard Island, snorkel Watson's Bay, the whole bay is crowded with giant clams that are from 3 feet to 5 feet big! Their colors are breathtaking, absolutely magnificent.

Back
Top Bottom