PNG advice and tips please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering PNG for a dive and travel trip, is it the kind of place I could spend six weeks ? do you have to do liveaboard diving to get anything out of the trip or is it possible to do land based fairly economically ? Which region would be the best region to explore and dive ? and is the diving good for palegic ?
many thanks

You could do a lot of locations in six weeks if you have enough money. It is generally not a cheap place to visit. Good places I have been to are Madang, Tufi, Port Moresby, Kavieng and Rabaul. All the diving was first class in my opinion. Have a look at my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site for more detailed information about these places. You could combine Moresby with Kavieng and Rabaul or with the other two places. There is also excellent diving at Kimbe, but I have not been there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. How about the Solomon Islands ? how do they compare to PNG diving and expense ?
Many thanks

As you know I cant compare prices and expenses but to me the Solomons seemed just a notch under PNG - if i had to choose between the two I would choose PNG...not to say I wouldnt go to the Solomons again if I had the chance.

Hello I will be traveling to the AUS. and Whitsundays for one week on a Catamarran and would then like to spend 3 more weeks in the area for diving. I noticed that live aboards out of Cairns for the one week trips seemed very expensive. It appears that it may be less expensive to fly over to PNG and do a live aboard from there. Would the GBR ribbon reefs be considered as good as PNG? Thanks

I'd rate PNG superior and you'd have the added benefit of visiting a country that's beautiful topside as well

Back
Top Bottom