Coral Sea fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaity47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Any locals want to take a crack at IDing these two little guys? We've gone through a couple of books without much luck.

Up first, some kind of blennie/dragonet... we think it might be a Miracle Triplefin (from the Humann book), but I'm not sure:
gbr_1102_270207.jpg

Next, a little damselfish (juvenile?), about an inch long:
gbr_0808_270207.jpg

Thanks for any help!

I think Miracle Triplefin is correct for the first one. The second, I believe, is a Gray Demoiselle juvenile (Chrysiptera glauca) on page 76 of Humann et al.

vladimir:
I think Miracle Triplefin is correct for the first one. The second, I believe, is a Gray Demoiselle juvenile (Chrysiptera glauca) on page 76 of Humann et al.

Thanks! Our demoiselle is just a little more juvenile than the one in the picture; in my dark office, I couldn't make out that distinctive neon blue stripe in the book photo. And it's nice to have backup on the triplefin id. :)

Loved it! I wish we could have stayed longer and seen more of your fabulous country. :)

Links to all our pics and my (still in progress) blog entries are at:

Australia 2007

I especially loved how all the zoos and wildlife parks let you get really close to critters, and touch many of them. I confess, I paid twice to get to hold a koala. They're just too cute!

Great to hear you loved the trip.

I have been checking you web site, love your pics of the trip.
Say Hi to Jeff.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom