Coral Sea and GBR liveaboards out of Cairns or Port Douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any cheap Coral Sea liveaboards out of Cairns and Port Douglas? I've browsed a few places online, but I'm having a hard time deciding. Budget is key.

Also looking for cheap GBR liveaboards out of Cairns or Port Douglas. Do you know what the story is with Minke whales around the Ribbon reefs? I will be there during the time they are found there (may–june)

Thanks.

You might try "Taka", if you're looking for cheap out of Port Douglas. I've booked a spot on "Diversity", a standard for 4 nights is about $1800. Aus., but the price is about half with the exchange rate. For a first class op. I wouldnt think you'd find much cheaper. That's a little over $200. a night U.S. for room, food, and diving. We'll be there in the end of June, if we're lucky the whales are around at that time of year.
For websites, you might also look under "Pro-dive"they list "Taka", "Diversity", "Ocean Hunter", as well as other boats.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac
:D

is www.diversionoz.com

These guys do most stuff in Aussie dollars (so much better for your hardearned dollar) and they personally go on all the boats they recommend. I know this because I met a guy who works for them when I was doing a liveaboard out of Townsville to the Outer Great Barrier Reef and the wreck of the Yongala.

I've heard lots of other people with good comments about them too.

With regards to the Minkes, a liveaboard that not only seeks them out, but also records data on them is Undersea Explorer. This boat leaves from Port Douglas (about an hour North of Cairns). The boat seeks out the whales and you get at least one full day of snorkelling with them (I think you don't dive with them because the bubbles scare them away). You just snorkel and hang on to a line out the back of the boat and the minkes come up to you to say howdy! its soooo beautiful! One of my mates works on the boat as a Marine Biologist and I have seen so many videos from their encounters with them - it just seems magical!

I also know that Mike Ball runs Minke Whale trips in June to mid-July.

Good luck researching your trip - you'll have a blast!

I can tell you from my horrendous experience: don't dive with Rum Runner.

Been there, did that, loved it would like to go again. About $1500 US for 6 nights.

Undersea Explorer, and Taka are quality outfits and should be what you are looking for.
Mike Ball is great, but too expensive unless you are flexible on dates and can get Standby rates.

Australia is absolutely wonderful and the people are very nice.
The Great Barrier reef is very nice, but if you can get out further into the Coral Sea, the clarity and sealife are nicer. Try to get to Flinders Reef, Holmes Reef, or Bougainville reef in the Coral Sea as this is where the better diving is. Forget Cod Hole, fish feeding is a waste of one dive in my eyes.

Avoid the Aquarius out of Cairns. It was cheap but completely incompetent and borderline unsafe. I booked just 1 hour before the trip departed and they claimed they had serious intentions to get to Holmes and Bougainville Reef depending on the weather. 1 hour after on board the claimed they couldn't make it because of rough seas. Since the boat was half full and the weather was excellent it appeared more likely they wanted to save on fuel costs. I felt they lied to me to get my business. There were several accidents that occured and crew that condoned taking lobsters and fish in forbidden zones which didn't go over well with me.

GO STANDBY AND SAVE OVER HALF
Aussies gouge Americans and Japanese on prices when they book ahead of time. That is why you won't find prices on Mike Ball's website or why operators want to know where you are from prior to quoting prices.

I went backpacking style in Australia for 2 months carrying my gear around. During that time I did 3 week long liveaboards each was done without prior booking on suggestion by a friend. The "standby" rates were less than half of what they charge Americans who pre-book by internet. If you can go in the April-May time frame before the tourist season, there are many live aboards with available space.

I did Mike Ball's Townsville - Yongala and Coral Sea trip for $1696.00 Aussie Dollars (under $900 USD) and they normally charge USD $2400.00. It was by far the best, it takes you out past the GBR where the water is clearer and the sealife more abundant. It was far superior to his PNG trip and we had spectaular weather for diving the Wreck of the Yongala (in the Top 10 wrecks in Rodales)

Here is a scan of their brochure that you will only find in Cairns. It looks the same as the worldwide brochure, but has extra, black overprint boxes at the top with the prices in Aussie dollars. They'll probably kill me for showing it here.

Mike Ball brochure with Standby Rates found only in Cairns *Click Here*

*Click here* to see 23 photos from The Great Barrier Reef Trip

*Click here* to see 22 photos from The Coral Sea and Wreck of The Yongala trip

RSDiver - this is very informative and interesting; would like to see the Mike Ball brochure but the URL does not work...
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom