What/How to pack for SOF 4 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's finally nearly here...our trip to Oz is only a month away! I know it will be here before we know it.

This will be our first liveaboard experience so I thought I check with the experts for packing advice. Of course, I know generally what/how to pack, but I thought if there were people out there that had packing down to a science for a liveaboard trip why not tap into that resource. We will have a weight restriction as we have a low level flight from Cairns to Lizard Island. We will have to leave the rest of our stuff back in Cairns and only bring what we need for the 4 days. Any suggestions on what will make us the most comfortable? Anything I wouldn't think to bring? What about non-clothing type things...what is your packing look like for any snacks, reading materials, etc.

I'd love to hear how/what you pack...

This question has been asked and answered many times on the board. It would be worth having a look through the liveaboard section for some good tips.

This is my list:

Multiple bathing suits, it is nice to get into a dry suit for every dive. I carry 5 but three will do. I carry a second wetsuit, but you don't want to pack that for an OZ trip so skip that unless you need the padding for packing fragile cameras etc.

It will depend on the liveaboard, but anything that you deem essential for diving that they don't rent you will want a spare of. I take two masks as a rental/borrowed one is not likely to fit. Most boats will have spares of standard kit but if you have something unusual make sure it works and/or you have two.

Medical adhesive tape for covering over raw spots. 5 dives a day can play hell with your skin and rub your feet raw if you don't dive that much. I find tape better than bandaids because it will stay on in water - tape early - before you rub raw.

Small extension cord if you have a number of devices that need recharging.

Pack light. I figure 1 t-shirt per day, an extra pair of shorts for the times you will be out of a bathing suit (not often), and one thing for a cold rainy day. Shoes optional, only needed for getting on and off the boat. As a general rule I get up - put on the suit I will be wearing for the first dive, have breakfast, dive, change into the next suit at the end of the dive, hang around on deck until the next dive in that suit, dive repeat. I might get into a pair of shorts for dinner, might not. You really don't wear much on a liveaboard so minimal is better.

Seasick medication, earplugs.

Chocolate - or whatever would be a personal treat. Minimal as food and snacks are generally provided and are generous as a rule. But I like to have something special for myself once in a while.

You won't need that much outside of the dive equipment you will take.

With respect to clothing, I still take too much! I have seriously cut down on each trip, but you really don't need that much. For the 4 day trip I would take (at most!!) 2 pairs of shorts and 2-3 tops/shirts.Most people will wear same thing more than one day. It's not a fashion show -- not at all like cruises. A hat and sunscreen are musts as well.

Don't bring extra shoes as most boats ask you to leave them in a basket once you board.

I do bring lots of bathing suits 5-7 so that I can change into a dry suit after finishing each dive. I rinse off and put on a dry suit as soon as I finish a dive and hang out the wet suit to dry.

Bring a book. there are some on-board so if you can borrow one if you finish the one you brought.

don't forget your divelog and c-cards.

You won't go hungry so I wouldn't worry about bringing food.

Have a great time!

Last edited:
There will be plenty of ice water on the boat, so bring some powdered drink mix, and your own rum. Captain Morgan's spiced is normally best.

For night diving, bring a rechargable light, and the recharger, and a socket adaptor for Auzzieland.

I like bringing a DPV and a charger for it too.

Hi,

SOF - don't worry about any snacks - unless chocolate as already suggested. There is so much food on the boat its not funny. Hear is how it goes:

630 continental breakfast
dive
800 big brekky - bacon eggs, hash browns, omelettes etc
dive
huge lunch
dive
muffins, cakes etc
dive
mosntrous dinner and some wine.

Really you just need your scuba gear, bathers, a t-shirt or two, one long trousers and jumper.
No shoes - you are told to leave them in your cabin
SOF - provide all towels for bathroom and on deck.

So really you can get away with bathers short and a t-shirt if you really wanted to go light!

MA:
Hi,

SOF - don't worry about any snacks - unless chocolate as already suggested. There is so much food on the boat its not funny. QUOTE]

I think you can buy chocolate bars on board. They had several types in the cooler with the soft drinks and alcohol for purchase.

As an aside -- if you like chocolate stuff, you MUST try Timtams when in Oz! In the cookie/biscuit section of any grocery store!

MA:
Hi,

SOF - don't worry about any snacks - unless chocolate as already suggested. There is so much food on the boat its not funny. QUOTE]

I think you can buy chocolate bars on board. They had several types in the cooler with the soft drinks and alcohol for purchase.

As an aside -- if you like chocolate stuff, you MUST try Timtams when in Oz! In the cookie/biscuit section of any grocery store!

and shotgun it

If you're not taking your own fins, take a pair of neoprene socks. Sometimes the rental fins don't fit as well as you might like, and when you're diving that much, you'll end up with irritations or worse on your feet. The also make it easier to get in and out of a wet wetsuit.

Apart from that 3 bathing suits, 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, a sweater, earplugs, sunscreen and a hat should see you through. I'd be wary of doing any reading if you've a tendency towards sea-sickness.

Dive equipment wise - depends what you have, and what you really can't live without. You should be able to rent everything, including a computer. However, if you do take any of your own stuff, take spare bits - e.g. computer batteries, mask & fin straps etc...

Hi Littleguppie====all sounds like great advice and I don't have anything to add, except that we are booked on SOF Oct. 13th and would love to hear from you about your experience....how about posting a trip report or sending a pm when you get back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom