Spirit of Freedom OR TAKA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

franksong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
HI,GUYs
am going to GBR next april and will take a 3n3d liveaboard,am now planning which boat to take.apparently,SOF is more expensive but a flight and wine included,i just want to ask that is the wine offer in the boat is unlimited to anybody?that means will they offer someone who is fund of drinking as much as he wants?
bwt,is taka a good choice with its reasonable price?

The way the free wine works on the Spirit of Freedom is that it is offered to you with your main course over dinner, however, once you have alcohol (any), that's your days diving over with (same on Taka, just you have to purchase any alcohol there), so no night diving allowed and then also remember you are up at 6 ish to eat 1st breakfast and then start the diving day off, so I didn't see anyone that wanted drink excessively.

When you come back from the night dive, dessert and the wine is then available for all guests, how long it stays out I didn't ever check as I only had wine on the last night (when they steam back to port).

Anyway, I was there to make the most of diving, I figured I can have a drink anytime and I was doing 5 dives a day, so I really didn't want to increase the risk of DCS by drinking excessively, personally I'd see it as a nice gesture, rather than something to be the deciding factorn on the boat I chose.

I much preferred Spirit of Freedom over Taka, and the main reason was the crew, however I've posted the comments about that else where, from a pure boat/what you get perspective it boils down to:

Spirit of Freedom:

• Max of 4 Day dives & 1 night dive all limited to "back on the boat with 50 bar air pressure in your tank"
  • 1 crew member in the water doing a current check with feedback to you as to current strength and direction on every dive, dives amended if needed (i.e. tenders take you out to drop you away from the boat so you can drift dive).
  • Flashing beacon on night dives to lead you back to the anchor chain along with glow sticks along the chain.
  • Each dive had at least 1 if not more crew in the water leading dives/safety diver
  • Buddy teams put together based on experience and qualification
  • Each room has an ensuite bathroom (even quad shares)
  • Happy to send out Tenders to pick you up if required
  • Warm dry towel after ever dive.
  • Better quality of food - dinner is served to you (A la carte), rest are the meals are buffet and vast quantities.
  • Minor (but nice touch) all mugs/plates are not plastic
  • Sun loungers on the sun deck + free suncream + shaded area with comfy seats
  • Rooms cleaned/beds made each day for you daily.
  • Smaller but more luxurious feeling to the boat

Taka

• Max 3 Day dives and 1 night dive limited to 50 mins for day and 40 mins/16 meters for night dives.
  • Only once did they send out a diver to do a current check and then didn't give any feedback as to what the result was
  • Glow sticks on the anchor chain to help you find it
  • Some dives they actively encouraged you not to request a crew member in the water, got the feeling it was more so they could dive in the guests surface interval.
  • Buddy teams put together based on number of dives so some AoW and OW teams together without checking if they were ok with that.
  • Most rooms shared the showers/toilets on the dive deck.
  • Tenders were available but with the warning "if we have to send a tender out for you, it may stop us rescuing someone that needs it more than you"
  • Towel dried once overnight, so dry for first dive only
  • Food was more canteen style and not as much as the Spirit of Freedom plus all buffet meals style
  • All mugs/plates are plastic
  • Stack of plastic chairs tied together on sun deck - smaller shaded area available (home to smokers) no suncream
  • Rooms cleaned on changeover days, sheet and blanket provided for you to make your own bed
  • Bigger but more more budget feeling to the boat

Both dive crews counted you in and out of the water + had you sign for every dive you dived and those you didn't so they had the right number of heads, both had a spotter watching for divers, Spirit of Freedom was very easy to see the spotter, Taka less so, but they were there.

Diving sites on both were pretty similar, personally I felt that Spirit of Freedom picked better sites based on conditions and always had the boat moored as a stable on/off point when I was on there; Taka sometimes only had the front moored (one of these at the same site Spirit had had both front/back moored, but this could have been that Taka was a bigger boat, not sure) which meant that as there was a large swell, the back of the boat was continuously moving side to side, meaning that it was harder to get back to the boat.

The mermaid line that was put out at one point, but was taken back in as my buddy and I swam to it (meaning that we could have then used the line to get to the boat easier), not sure if they planned to re-throw it or not, but I didn't see it out again at that dive site.

The crew were the real deciding factor for me, as posted elsewhere I prefered the attitude and helpfulness of those on the Spirit of Freedom, there wasn't anything they wouldn't try and help you with, but I hope this list helps you decide if you want to pay the additional money for the nice to have extra's or save a little, if money is no object, I'd go with Spirit of Freedom, overall I really enjoyed that trip and will use it to benchmark all other liveaboards I go on.

:huh: would you choose a liveaboard on the basis of the quantity of wine available??

ive heard good things about both dive ops so good luck in choosing one!

I like the Spirit myself as the better one.

I basically do not drink so it never bothered me, although flying all that way who really cares about the amount of wine offered when there is the brilliance of the reef.
Also the Spirit is basically a 7 day trip, or broken into a shorter trip for people who want less time on the reef, hence the flight which has massive weight restrictions attached to it. So you may want to look into that as well.

Also the Spirit is basically a 7 day trip, or broken into a shorter trip for people who want less time on the reef,

could you be clearer about that point? What si the difference qith the TAKA?

Many 7 night trips from there are actually a 3 night and 4 night put together. You can do just one segment, or do them in either order, providing more flexibility.

TAKA steams all the way back to Cairns for each trip, which will probably be cheaper but give you less time diving on the better/more distant reefs. SOF only comes back to Cairns once a week and stops at Lizard island between the itineraries, which is a distance from Cairns and near better diving. So depending when you come and go you might fly to or from Lizard island and meet the SOF there. This gives you a cool flight over the reef and more time out where the reef is better, but will cost more and there's serious weight restrictions on the flight.

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions and Spirit of Freedom both have expeditions designed to cater to all standards of divers from experienced through to beginners. They structure their expeditions so that the most amount of diving can be fitted into the time frame available...its is all about the diving!!! Mike Ball Dive Expeditions pioneered the solo diving and open dive deck policies which allow loads of dive freedom...meaning longer bottom times for those and more diving for your money on a trip. The way the expeditions are structured is: the boat departs from Cairns and steams north towards the best diving, which is generally accepted to be on the Ribbon Reefs north of Cairns. They then head out to the Coral Sea and Osprey Reef before returning to either Lizard Island (Spirit and Mike Ball) or all the way back to Cairns (Taka). Lizard Island means less travelling time (so more time diving) and gives the added value of a scenic flight back to Cairns. It also means those passengers staying on for a week, get to check out the island for a couple of hours and "offgas" before heading back out to be in the water by lunchtime. Anyone joining the expedition for the second half flies into LIzard Island, those leaving after the first section of the week, fly out.

Taka is a cheaper trip. You get what you pay for. They cannot afford the same level of service, food, crockery!, etc. when they have less budget to play with.

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions have a great reputation and have been setting standards and benchmarks in the industry for a long time. Spirit of Freedom are doing a decent job of keeping up and also offer great service, food and similar policies. Spoilsport, the MBDE boat is larger and a catamaran. Spirit of Freedom is a mono hull.

I have done both Taka and Mike Ball Dive Expeditions. Taka is a good trip but Mike Ball Dive Expeditions blew me away!

and Could you compare the spirit of freedom with the undersea explorer? especially about diving:

more time in Osprey?
Limited bottom time?
Nirtox on board?
price?

It really depends what you want from a trip? Undersea Explorer focuses their expeditions around scientific research. Mike Ball Dive Expeditions is a "luxury liveaboard" which also offers reef ecology programs and an onboard video/photo pro, Spirit of Freedom also offers the "luxury" aspect. During Minke Whale Season (June and July), all operators carry Minke Whale researchers who carry out presentations onboard regarding their research and passengers are encouraged to give feedback on their experiences... For a direct comparison of their individual features (price, nitrox, etc.) I would go to their websites.

Back
Top Bottom