Diving in Port Douglas, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sclemens

New
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to recommend a dive operator in Port Douglas? We are looking to dive w/ a smaller group, for the best price. . .If you have any particular reef or dive site info that would be really appreciated! Also, does anyone know if you can dive out of PK's? Thanks!

Umm Port Douglas is the one of the Cattle boat Capitals of the Barrier Reef, there are very few small operators and most have slow boats so it takes between 2 and 3 hours just to get to the reef. The diving is so so as it has been so over dived by divers with very little understanding of neutral Bouyancy.
The only way to really dive the barrier reef is on a decent live aboard and get out to the ribbon reefs and Coral Sea.

PK's organises diving trips I think... PK's isn't really Port Douglas is it? I thought it was more north of Port Douglas... (btw, if you decide to go to PK's, watch out for bed bugs and don't sleep in your own sleeping bag/sheets!)

I stayed at Crocodylus Village rainforest resort (I recommend it) and they did organise scuba diving trips from there. I believe PK's organises exactly the same tours as Crocodylus.

I didn't do any scuba diving there as I had a cold :croctears so I don't know how far the reef is though... I bet Sydney Diver knows the area much better than I do.

Watersprite

I would have to agree with Chris, we went out with Quick Silver out of Port Douglas. Cattle boat it was, although once we docked an the reef, another smaller boat took about 12 of us to another location away from the crowd. I enjoyed the diving at Lizard Island much better, just three of us on the boat. Gotta say I loved Australia and plan on going back in a year or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom