Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Water Temp in August at GBR?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Water Temp in August at GBR?

First time in Australia. I normally dive with a full 5/3 wetsuit. Is that too much? not enough? for August in Cairns. thank you

Travel Professional

PADI Course Director and tour
    guide

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Blog Entries
    For this time of year up in Queensland probably bit too much. But if diving southern Qld or southern states then OK.

Here is info on water temps up here now (see bottom of page) Cairns Dive Trips Visitor Information

We also post regular reef reports on temp viz and winds wetc on our Facebook page (search for Aquapro Dive Services) if you wanted up to date conditions. Login | Facebook

Here is the latest one

unday 9th& Monday 10th
    January 2011

Water Temperature: 31 degrees
    Underwater Visibility: 15m
    CURRENT OBSERVATIONS
    As of 4pm Today

Marine World: Calm 5 Knots
    Low Isles: WSW winds 13 knots
    Cairns Airport: W winds 4 knots

3 DAY OUTLOOK
    As per Bureau of Meteorology – Cooktown to Cardwell at 4pm
    Monday: Variable 5-10 knots
    Tuesday: Variable 5-
    Wednesday: Variable 5-15 knots

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Regular of the Pub

In the Transit Lounge again
    until further notice

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I clocked average temps of 23-24 between Cod hole and Ospreys last Aug. Was comfortable in my 5mm.

Registered

is moving city

Dives
    200 - 499
    yeah, 23-25... I was diving in boardies and a rashie most of the time, getting cold at about the 40min mark but thoring out quickly back on the boat.

mike ball i think had mainly 3mm wetties? they should suffice. i brought my 7/5 and was hot in it so ditched it (I have a thing about hire wetsuits, I'd rather be chilly than in a hire...). but some people were diving in 5/7mm and hoods.