Water Temp in August at GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alam555

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First time in Australia. I normally dive with a full 5/3 wetsuit. Is that too much? not enough? for August in Cairns. thank you

For this time of year up in Queensland probably bit too much. But if diving southern Qld or southern states then OK.

Here is info on water temps up here now (see bottom of page) Cairns Dive Trips Visitor Information

We also post regular reef reports on temp viz and winds wetc on our Facebook page (search for Aquapro Dive Services) if you wanted up to date conditions. Login | Facebook

Here is the latest one

unday 9th& Monday 10th
January 2011

Water Temperature: 31 degrees
Underwater Visibility: 15m
CURRENT OBSERVATIONS
As of 4pm Today

Marine World: Calm 5 Knots
Low Isles: WSW winds 13 knots
Cairns Airport: W winds 4 knots

3 DAY OUTLOOK
As per Bureau of Meteorology – Cooktown to Cardwell at 4pm
Monday: Variable 5-10 knots
Tuesday: Variable 5-
Wednesday: Variable 5-15 knots

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

I clocked average temps of 23-24 between Cod hole and Ospreys last Aug. Was comfortable in my 5mm.

yeah, 23-25... I was diving in boardies and a rashie most of the time, getting cold at about the 40min mark but thoring out quickly back on the boat.

mike ball i think had mainly 3mm wetties? they should suffice. i brought my 7/5 and was hot in it so ditched it (I have a thing about hire wetsuits, I'd rather be chilly than in a hire...). but some people were diving in 5/7mm and hoods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom