great white shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning a great white shark dive in AU.
I looking for help from people who have done
this specific dive/trip. Planning hints,
suggestions, good/bad tour operators, and
anything else. I have not decided if I want
to do a live aboard or a day trip, so those
of you that have done either/both, please
comment. Thanks so much.

I've been to Australia and Africa. South Africa is a much more popular spot to do White Shark dives. Cape Town is where you would go......try the Africa forum.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

I've never been there but the best place to go shark diving is in South Australia with Rodney Fox. Rodney Fox is a leading shark expert, one of the best. He knows Great Whites better than anyone else. That started when he was attacked and barely survived in the 60's. Get on his boat if you want a good shark dive with Great Whites. Don't pass up the chance, I'm sure you'll love it. I can't wait for my opportunity to dive with them. Just look up Rodney Fox on a search engine 'cause I'm not sure of the address. Enjoy! :)

we had an excellent shark dive on the Coral Sea itinerary on Mike Ball's Spoilsport live-aboard. Most of the divers had done shark dives elsewhere and thought this one was wonderful.
It was my first (and last) and i found it terrifying. so i guess that means it was wonderful

mimi

Hi all shark diving fanatics,

Please read the shark cage experience story (with photos) from a trip with Rodney Fox on underwater.com.au

The direct link to the story is here

Hope that helps a bit.

See you all underwater ....

Tim

Itlmi--how long was your liveaboard trip? How many
people were on the trip? How were your dives
organized?

Hello fellow shark fan!

Since you live in Florida you may want to consider going to Isla de Guadalupe, Mexico.
You leave out of San Diego.
I've been there with Golden Gate Expeditions and had one heck of a time.
11 Great Whites in 3 days of diving!
I would definately reccommend going there.
It's a little closer than Austrailia.
If you want more info...let me know.
Or check out the link below.

www.GREATWHITEADVENTURES.com

Bill Fisher

I agree with the suggestion for going to Guadalupe - I have spoke to people who have done great white dives in South Africa and OZ and all have reported that the trips are hit and miss as far as sightings go and the visability for photography is less that great

I have consistantly heard good reports from Guadalupe and I myself had an amazing 5 days with San Diego Shark Diving

www.sdsharkdiving.com

Bill Fisher--that is good to know. When did you go
on your trip? How was it organized in terms of the
dives? How many divers were on the trip? What
would you suggest is the best time of the year
to go on such a trip?

Sealkie--similiar questions for you.

Also if you could comment on what you liked
or didn't like in particular in terms of the company
that you went with.
Thanks.

I did the Guadalupe great white trip with San Diego Shark diving Sept 15-21 in 2002. We had sharks all 4 days size 10-16ft. The operation was good they did a nice job rotating everyone in and out of the cage. The trip had 16 people on it with two 4 man cages (ine the water for an hour out for an hour). Vis averaged about 80ft. Good thing about this trip is the cost while expensive 2,200-2,500 to see great whites compared to 4,000-8,000 with travel other places. Also the trip takes less than a week

As for South Africa I hear there is a lot of whites but the vis is poor

Australia is the luck of the draw...A few weeks ago I was in Rurutu eating at a table with several prof Photo and one said the majority of the trips he had been on were busts. The other said all his trips had been amazing. One good thing is that the sharks are often big!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom